Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #1

PENTAX AF200FG flash? Just read the review and want to know more

Hi all, so my lens kit for fly fishing trips is going to be sigma 8-16, DA* 16-50, and DA* 60-250. I am started to sell more photos to publications, and the "hold-up" shot of an angler with a fish can pay well when done well. One of the guys to getting this shot right I have been told is to use a wide angle lens to make the fish look bigger (fishermen lie however they can right), use flash for "fill-flash" even on the brightest days so the fisherman's face isn't in shadow under his hat, and use a cpl so that the fish doesn't wash out and look like an over-exposed bright patch from the fill-flash.

So I have a K-7 and will be taking these hold up shots both the sigma 8-16 and the DA* 16-50. It sounds like I can use the built in flash with the 16-50 at 20mm or longer if the fisherman is 5 feet away or farther. what are the advantages of going to the flash i mentioned in the title exactly? And it's limitations? Could I use it at 8mm if the fisherman was 3-4 feet away without shadowing? Is it worth investing in a flash versus just using the built-in at 20mm?

Thanks all! -LE

02-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Your situation is about the only one that I can think of where I would say buying that flash might be worth it. Using it for fill flash in a situation where small size is a bonus and the pop up might not be powerful enough is the one use I see. Honestly for 90% of people, I would never suggest buying a flash that does not at least tilt, and preferably both swivel and tilt. I have the Pentax 360 flash which only tilts, and I find myself not using it most of the time for two reasons. The first reason is that I find the auto mode exposure of an old flash like the Sunpak 383 to be much more reliable, and the second reason is that I want to have the ability to swivel the head to utilize bounce flash more effectively.

I don't believe this AF200FG flash can be used wirelessly off camera either, right? I really can't see spending over $100 for a flash that can only be used in the unflattering direct mode.
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
I am hoping I don't need to get it and can get away with the pop-up flash since it's harsh light will be diffused by the bright conditions I use it in. I will be close up too so power I wouldn't think would be much of an issue that often. The big thing is if it will shadow in the shots I need fill with the DA* 16-50, where the af200fg wouldn't.
02-10-2011, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My suggestion: Get a used flash.

- The more power, the better (you know why in a minute).
- With auto mode. p-TTL is nice, but not needed. I'd rather get a flash with auto and no p-TTL than one with p-TTL and no auto.
- The more aperture settings in auto mode, the better.

Say, you are taking a photo in the sun. A good exposure calls for ISO 100, 1/180 sec shutter speed (the max flash sync. speed), and F/11 (or F/16). A neutral density or polarizing filter will allow larger apertures, but it will also block the light from the flash. For this example, let's assume there is no filter.

To have fill-flash, set the flash on auto, ISO 100, and F/8 (or F/11 - one stop slower than the actual aperture setting on the camera). This will give you the 1-2 ratio. The fill light from the flash will be about 1/2 the light from the sun.

You need a powerful flash because at small aperture and low ISO setting, the light power from a weak flash in many cases is not sufficient. As a reference, at 24mm focal length setting (APS-C), F/11 and ISO 100, the Pentax 540's range is about 18 ft. max.

For greater flexibility, you want a flash with many aperture settings in auto. For example, the Sunpak 383 (a very popular flash unit), at ISO 100, has only 3 aperture settings: F/2, F/4, and F/8. The Pentax 540 has 8 settings from F/2 to F/22.

Please check your PM.

Last edited by SOldBear; 02-10-2011 at 01:17 AM.