Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Metz 58 AF-1(-2) vs. Pentax AF-540 FGZ

Well, there is another thread asking about flashes, I hope this won't make people tire of it .
I have a friend and she just bought a K-5 and she asked me which flash she should buy . I have only a Pentax AF-540 FGZ and don't use much although I am happy with it . But since I have seen many posts from people saying they really like the Metz 58 AF-1(or-2) . So I would like to know if there is anyone has used both of the flashes can gives me opinions about pros and cons from both flashes, and which one you prefer to use over the other .
Thanks in advance .

02-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this review out:

Metz-58 Mecablitz Flash Review | DSLR Flashes | PentaxForums.com
02-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much Ole . When I searched, I did not see that article .
02-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry, I haven't used both, but what I do know is that Metz users absolutely love their flashes (I love my Metz 48), and you're paying less for them, and significantly less at least in the region I live. In fact, my friend who told me about Metz in the first place, including his dad who used them exclusively for years - he was a professional wedding photographer - refuse to even consider any other brand of flash. So take that for what it's worth.

02-15-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Enoxatnep . Iwill give her the link to this thread so she'll decide which is best for her .
02-18-2011, 11:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've used both and prefer the 540. Metz user interface is too menu-driven, Pentax controls are easier IMO. Plus used off-camera, the Pentax was more reliable due to its better sensor location (I believe this has been corrected on the new Metz, 58 version 2.) Another problem with the Metz was that it could not be used as controller/master in P-TTL, to operate an off-camera P-TTL slave; it could only be used as the slave- so you'd still have to use either a Pentax 360 or 540 on-camera to power your Metz as slave in P-TTL. That review in the link that was referred to, in the earlier post, does not mention these issues...

This and the HSS issue have been discussed in other threads, do a search because the Metz vs Pentax question has been brought up many times. FWIW, if I was only ever going to use the flash on-camera, or on a bracket, I'd go with the Metz, but if you need multi-flash off-camera capabilities I personally prefer the Pentax 540.

P.S. Every Pentax AF540 owner should do themselves a favor and check the adjustment on the trimpots, it really helps. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/103779-in...x-flashes.html
02-19-2011, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My friend already decided to get the Pentax . Thank you for your input Neversatisfied .