Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 07:43 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Enabling "Servo" mode on Metz 48 AF-1 and Metz 50 AF-1....

Just want to share some info....

I recently updated to firmware version 3.0 for my Metz 48 AF-1 but found little to no information on how to enable it. I guess "Metz" is a bit behind .
Anyway, I went ahead and played with the buttons and finally figured it out. It is a great feature, so I decided to put together a small "how-to" for all the other Metz 48 AF-1 owners...
All images where shot with K-7, DA17-70mm@70mm, built in flash @ F8/ISO100/-2EV. Shutter speeds varied on test condition.

The first image shows how to enter the slave mode by repeatedly pressing both - and + keys as the SELECT function.
Name:  Enabling Slave - Servo Mode 1.jpg
Views: 4789
Size:  142.4 KB

Then pressing the + key actually enables the Slave mode. At this point you'd have wireless P-TTL enabled (provided you have synced the channel between camera and flash).
Name:  Enabling Slave - Servo Mode 2.jpg
Views: 8414
Size:  144.4 KB

A further press of the + key puts the flash into M (Manual) mode. This is the "Servo" mode. You can now use the "built-in" camera flash to trigger the Metz 48 AF-1 with pre-flash suppression.
Output strength of the flash is incrementally controlled via the - and + keys (once the display has settled). You can use your built-in flash in Standard/Red-Eye Reduction/Slow/Rear Curtain
and Wireless modes. When setting the flash parameter to Wireless, you are still shooting "manually".
Name:  Enabling Slave - Servo Mode 3.jpg
Views: 5926
Size:  123.7 KB

One of the first things I did, was to test the Servo mode using "Rear Curtain Shutter Sync" at a slow shutter speed, because the delay between the pre-flash and the real flash is quite obvious.
(Note the slight trailing blur of the green LED). Oops, it didn't seem to work at 1/2 sec. Hmmmm....
Name:  K7__5463.jpg
Views: 4210
Size:  94.1 KB

I ran a gamut of small tests and found out, that the slowest "Rear Curtain" speed in Servo mode is 1/10 sec. Below that it does not trigger. I would be interested to see if someone can verify this!
Knowing this might be quite useful. All other "legal" modes seem to work as advertised.
Name:  K7__5470.jpg
Views: 5049
Size:  97.7 KB

When you switch off the flash and then turn it on again, it appears to remember its last mode setting, so keep an eye out for that.
I hope this was informative and if anyone wants to add or correct things, please go ahead.
Cheers

Last edited by Catalana; 02-23-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: add product to title
02-21-2011, 09:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I think what this means in practical terms, regarding preflash suppresion, is that I can have one Metz flash running in PTTL close to the camera, and the PTTL will assure that the closest flash does not over or under expose. At the same time, i can put a second Metz flash farther away in Manual mode, thus allowing me to turn its power down to low levels. In Manual mode, the pre flash suppression would prvent the background manual flash from triggering on pttl pre-flash.

The other advantage of manual mode for some flashes, is that pttl wireless means optical control, so 48AF1 flashes can't be operated off camera greater than 10feet in pttl without cables. As far as i know, existing RF equipment only provides manual control for Pentax flashes. so it makes some sense.x

Last edited by philbaum; 02-22-2011 at 11:21 AM.
02-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thx Phil for pointing this out. That explains why "Servo" mode is still functional when the built-in camera flash is set to wireless mode. :-)
02-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
awesome.... thank you so much. Two flash wireless setup? I think so

now how do I cancel the popup from being in the exposure entirely? :ugh:

02-22-2011, 01:05 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Awesome! I just ran the upgrade on my Metz 48 AF-1 as well.
So far, as you've mentioned, everything up to 1/4th power works at 1/180.
1/2 seems really finnicky though. What I found is that if you turn the flash on/off, the first two exposures *might* fire correctly at 1/2 power, but after that it doesn't seem to work.
02-22-2011, 01:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
In the K-7, got to "Custom Menu [5] 31. Flash in wireless mode" and set it to OFF. That puts the pop-up into "Controller" mode. On the K-x it is "Custom Menu [3] 17. Flash in wireless mode". Then set the pop-up flash to"Wireless" mode. A pre-flash will be fired, but no main flash.
I have had some replies on the other forum, and it was determined, that Servo mode will not work at 1/1 (Full) or 1/2 power if using Wireless mode on the camera. This is probably by design (basically as fill flash).
02-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
Awesome! I just ran the upgrade on my Metz 48 AF-1 as well.
So far, as you've mentioned, everything up to 1/4th power works at 1/180.
1/2 seems really finnicky though. What I found is that if you turn the flash on/off, the first two exposures *might* fire correctly at 1/2 power, but after that it doesn't seem to work.
No problems for me, shooting at full power using regular flash mode on the camera. Make sure you give the flash sufficient time to re-charge when shooting at full power and make sure the batteries have enough charge.

Edit: We need to make sure we are all on the same page. Please mention if you have set the "Wireless Flash" function or using another flash mode on the camera.

Last edited by Catalana; 02-22-2011 at 02:25 AM.
02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Catalana, thank you for a excellent and well presented thread I have posted this thread link to the flash and equipment section with a suggestion that it is made a sticky.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/134172-st...uggestion.html
I installed the upgrade at the weekend but had no idea that threre was a new function as Metz did not [or I missed it] mention the new function.

Last edited by adwb; 02-22-2011 at 10:49 AM.
02-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Catalana Quote
In the K-7, got to "Custom Menu [5] 31. Flash in wireless mode" and set it to OFF. That puts the pop-up into "Controller" mode. On the K-x it is "Custom Menu [3] 17. Flash in wireless mode". Then set the pop-up flash to"Wireless" mode. A pre-flash will be fired, but no main flash.
I have had some replies on the other forum, and it was determined, that Servo mode will not work at 1/1 (Full) or 1/2 power if using Wireless mode on the camera. This is probably by design (basically as fill flash).
If only this were true
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #10

No problems for me, shooting at full power using regular flash mode on the camera. Make sure you give the flash sufficient time to re-charge when shooting at full power and make sure the batteries have enough charge.

Edit: We need to make sure we are all on the same page. Please mention if you have set the "Wireless Flash" function or using another flash mode on the camera.
I can confirm this too now. I was under the impression that the flash had to be in wireless mode to trigger Servo mode.

As great as this is, I was hoping that it would be able to push full power on wireless mode, as a ways to experiment with manual off-camera flash. However, being able to control 1/4th power in "controller" mode is alot to start experimenting with.
02-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
@Orangepeel:

Well, as mentioned before by philbaum (post #2), it is quite likely that Metz' interpretation of the "Wireless" camera setting is mainly for use with the off-camera flash in regular remote "Slave" mode, but adding "Servo" mode functionality, so that additional flashes could be used as fill flashes. The main "key" flash then still uses the pre-flash to get EV data, while the "manual" flash/es are set by the user. I'm almost certain it is a complex timing issue, that affects the behavior of multiple flashes in different modes.

At least it obviates the need for radio triggers (at least in the beginning) and one can always adjust the distance of the Servo flash to the subject (within limits). And using the built-in flash for added light is not so bad either. So, as you said, it's a good start.

Edit: Just to add; since there is no flash contribution from the built-in flash in Controller mode, you do have some latitude in controlling the exposure by adjusting speed, aperture and ISO on the camera, despite a 1/4 output from the Servo flash.

Last edited by Catalana; 02-23-2011 at 12:14 AM.
02-23-2011, 12:21 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
If only this were true
Is something not working for you? I've tested the "Controller" mode as in my reply to your post and it works just fine. Seems that even Orangepeel has got it working.
02-23-2011, 12:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Catalana, thank you for a excellent and well presented thread I have posted this thread link to the flash and equipment section with a suggestion that it is made a sticky.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/134172-st...uggestion.html
I installed the upgrade at the weekend but had no idea that threre was a new function as Metz did not [or I missed it] mention the new function.
Hi Allistair, glad it was of help. I figured it would be useful and hopefully Metz will update some of their documents on their web-site. Also, thanks for linking.
02-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by a.seki Quote
maybe rename the thread to Enabling "Servo" mode on Metz 48 AF-1 and 50 AF-1
Hi, I'm not familiar with the button layout on the 50 AF-1, so I'll hold off until someone can confirm that they are identical.
02-23-2011, 01:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Is something not working for you? I've tested the "Controller" mode as in my reply to your post and it works just fine. Seems that even Orangepeel has got it working.
No matter what, the onboard will take part in the exposure. Take a picture in the mirror and see for yourself.