Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2011, 11:33 AM   #1

Higher output flash for K5

I'm looking for a higher output flash unit for use in an arena during hockey games. I've got the Pentax AF540, but I can't seem to get enough light out of it to reach with my DA*50-135. Any suggestions? Or possibly any suggestions on how to get more output out of my AF540? The closer shots are excellent, but the distant ones are far too dark.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

02-27-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting Manual? Most likely the camera is underexposing when in reality the flash just might be putting out enough power...

Try manually setting your aperture, iso, and shutter speed and set the flash up manually too.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe I've got it all wrong.
02-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How far away are you?
02-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
How far away are you?
I'm on the bench with the kids, so I'm thinking about 60-80+ feet when the kids are at the end of the ice... I am totally new to flash photography...I just like what I see with the closer flash pics of these players

02-27-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Are you shooting Manual? Most likely the camera is underexposing when in reality the flash just might be putting out enough power...

Try manually setting your aperture, iso, and shutter speed and set the flash up manually too.

Just my 2 cents. Maybe I've got it all wrong.
I was thinking of trying that too. I'm just worried that the closer shots of the players will then be overexposed....
02-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

The $39 possible solution is a Better Beamer strapped to your existing flash. It just focuses the light to a much narrower beam so you can really see the difference at 60-80'. Not sure I'd want it flashed in my eyes though at full power when skating.

Here it is at B&H --> Visual Echoes FX5 Better Beamer for Select Mid-Size Flashes FX5
02-27-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
The $39 possible solution is a Better Beamer strapped to your existing flash. It just focuses the light to a much narrower beam so you can really see the difference at 60-80'. Not sure I'd want it flashed in my eyes though at full power when skating.

Here it is at B&H --> Visual Echoes FX5 Better Beamer for Select Mid-Size Flashes FX5
I've thought of that too...Do you happen to know which model works with the AF540? Some people say fx1 and some say fx2

02-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mokey Quote
I was thinking of trying that too. I'm just worried that the closer shots of the players will then be overexposed....
Yeah, I guess you just have to be quick on the front e-dial to dial in a faster shutter speed.
02-27-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've thought of that too...Do you happen to know which model works with the AF540? Some people say fx1 and some say fx2
I use the FX2 with my AF540. It's a necessity for getting shots of birds that tend to hang out in the understory of trees like this guy here.

One thing with the better beamer is to make sure that the beam is aimed where you want it. The tilt lock on my AF 540 tends to be a little loose, so I immobilize it using gaffers tape. Otherwise it'll point off in some odd direction and shoot the light every which way except where I need it.
02-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Sorry, I use a Metz flash and a beamer thats not specifically for it but they strap on with velcro anyway.
02-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm looking for a higher output flash unit for use in an arena during hockey games. I've got the Pentax AF540, but I can't seem to get enough light out of it to reach with my DA*50-135. Any suggestions? Or possibly any suggestions on how to get more output out of my AF540? The closer shots are excellent, but the distant ones are far too dark.
Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!
have you tried bumping the ISO to get more reach....
02-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tommot1965 Quote
have you tried bumping the ISO to get more reach....
I've gone to ISO400, but I guess I could go further. I really like the sharpness of the pics at the lower ISO's - otherwise I'll just stay with no flash and high ISO ( which on the K5 is pretty darn good!)
02-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #13

Original Poster
I've ordered a Beamer to try it out. That, and I'll start saving my money for a Metz 76. That should do the trick!
02-28-2011, 08:12 AM   #14

Original Poster
Here's what I like about shooting flash on the ice... the sharpness, the crispness.... It's just very hard to get that with high ISO's and low apertures....
Attached Images

02-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've seen both. The problem is the "bump" on the top of the head makes things a bit more complex. The FX2 is what I am using, but there is some wobble room, however I think an FX1 would interfere with the "bump". I'm probably going to add a little bit of weatherstripping to one "wing" of the FX2 to make it more stable.