Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Why use a side mounted flash bracket

i searched but couldnt find an answer. i understand the concept of a flash bracket, but do not understand a side mounted one that buts the flash right up next to the lens.

an example would be the CB-RC mini flash bracket. whats the point?

03-08-2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Illuminating close-ups?
03-08-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dislike putting a flash directly on top of any camera. I think that it is placing too heavy a load on the hot shoe on the camera, and I've seen too many stories of woe were dropping or hitting the flash has damage the hot shoes of either the camera or the flash.

I prefer the side mounting of the flash to avoid damaging the camera.

regards

Chris Stone
03-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I asked a similar question a while ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/83516-market-flash.html

03-09-2011, 05:59 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PaulfromTexas Quote
i searched but couldnt find an answer. i understand the concept of a flash bracket, but do not understand a side mounted one that buts the flash right up next to the lens.

In my opinion, the only purpose of a bracket with this congfiguration is simply to sell it. "If you make it, they will buy it."
03-09-2011, 06:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think he means, why one that is just a flat bracket and doesn't elevate the flash: with that, it's basically just that sometimes you don't need that elevation: Some fill techniques actually mean you can/want to put the light close to the lens axis, and there's just times when you're shooting in close quarters where the actual height of the flash is in the way or vulnerable or likely to be obstructed.

(Like, while chasing birdies in underbrush to take a stab at last month's contest. *whistle whistle* )

I think I've seen a couple of paparazzi types with a setup like that amid general throngs on TV, could prevent shadows from hat brims that way, maybe.
03-09-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are shooting verticals (a lot of candid wedding photography is shot that way), then it puts the flash above the lens and obviates shadows to the side of the subject.
The shadow cast by a shoe mounted flash when the camera is vertical scream incompetence.

03-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
<snip> could prevent shadows from hat brims that way, maybe.
but it will make everyone's eyes so red... And the light will be so flat.... But you're right, someone will want their flash located there.
Brian T
03-09-2011, 06:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I am going to venture a guess that when a flash is on it's side it would like the subject a little bit more on one side then the other to help get rid of the "deer in the headlight" look. not sure why a person would not want the flash elevated and on the side of the camera as well, though

cheers

randy
03-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
I am going to venture a guess that when a flash is on it's side it would like the subject a little bit more on one side then the other to help get rid of the "deer in the headlight" look. not sure why a person would not want the flash elevated and on the side of the camera as well, though

cheers

randy
exactly. if it were elevated or elevated and to the side it would make sense, but this one puts the flash just to the right of the lens. its not really a big deal to me personally, but i was just wandering if anyone out there used something like this. it just seems to me that it would move the harsh shadow from straight back to the left of the subject.
03-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calicojack Quote
but it will make everyone's eyes so red... And the light will be so flat.... But you're right, someone will want their flash located there.
Brian T
That's about balance. If you're like me and try to keep flash power as low as you can, the flash can just be easing the shadows and sometimes you *do* want to be close to the lens or not casting shadows from hats or obstructions (like in staircases sometimes) And you can choose your direction. I've been known to go so far as to invert the camera to position the flash for a shot, (my K20d and grip are uncommonly good for this, actually.)

Of course, if you're using bounce and swivel, especially off the ceiling or card, a couple of inches matter less.

Suffice it to say there's kind of a lot of reasons one might use a bracket like that. They're also nice and compact.

I'm kind of sold on a Demb bracket, (Or a copy of such I might make myself, with my own refinements added,) which, combined with a bounce card can let me position the flash just about any which way without being huge or in the way,
03-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
i must have overlooked a couple of replys. i guess what ive gathered so far is that a small bracket to put the flash on the side of the camera does have a few applications, but not as many as say an over camera style bracket.

thanks for the replys everyone
03-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I generally use a Stroboframe Flip Flash bracket which holds the flash directly above the lens in either orientation. I keep the flash head pointed forward and mount a Photoflex XTC inflatable soft box onto it.
Brian T
03-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i must have overlooked a couple of replys. i guess what ive gathered so far is that a small bracket to put the flash on the side of the camera does have a few applications, but not as many as say an over camera style bracket.

thanks for the replys everyone
I was reading a wedding photography book and it said that bouncing the flash off a wall instead of the ceiling is much more natural looking.... maybe that is why it is mounted to the side of the camera. think I need to buy it
Amazon.com: Captured by the Light: The Essential Guide to Creating Extraordinary Wedding Photography eBook: David Ziser: Kindle Store

randy
03-09-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are shooting verticals (a lot of candid wedding photography is shot that way), then it puts the flash above the lens and obviates shadows to the side of the subject.
The shadow cast by a shoe mounted flash when the camera is vertical scream incompetence.

Wheatfield gets it right... for both horizontal and vertical shots, the flash (with this bracket) is slightly above the lens which will minimize the shadow casting from the side without this bracket. Without this bracket, I keep the shots horizontal and crop later to avoid shadows.