Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Flash Advice

Hi,

I'm in the market for a flash unit. Please help me make a good choice. Here is what I require from the flash.

- Has to be P-TTL and TTL compatible (not necessarily Pentax branded)

- Has to have easy and quick manual control*

*I used a canon system before coming to Pentax and had a 430EX2 flash unit. It worked in E-TTL mode and had comprehensive manual control, but it was cumbersome to change settings in Manual mode. Pushing buttons just took time. What I would like is a flash unit that offers great manual control, i.e. I'd rather not press through 4 buttons just to halve the power output. Dials and knobs for commonly changed settings would be nice.

Does such a flash exist in Pentaxland?

Thanks

03-09-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You might want to check out the Metz flashes, 48Af, 50Af and 58Af. They only have 4 control buttons on the back which is good and bad. For some of the more advanced features such as wireless, modeling light, and setting things such as auto shut off time or changing the display from feet to meters you have to push 2 buttons at a time and go through a few menu options. As for switching between p-ttl and manual it is a simple one button operation, and exposure comp and manual power use two buttons, one to increase and one to decrease power. Btw in the manual you can go from full power to 1/128 power on the 48 and 50 models.

Last edited by ToGo; 03-09-2011 at 11:17 AM.
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd second the recommendation for Metz. The interface is simple but relatively quick for common things.

Have you seen my flash guide? That shows you all the options.
03-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I picked up the Promaster 7500EDF. It is now compatible with the K7 (not certain if it compatible with the K5). If you get one that has been in stock for a while, the firmware may need to be updated, but this is done free by the manufacturer (you only have to pay postage one way).

It has a Mode button, so going from full TTL to manual is one push of the button. To change flash intensity you just push another button, from 1/1 to 1/64 power (7 stop ranges). The power is pretty good and the price is about $250.

Regards,

03-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all,

I looked at the Metz flashes online (bhphotovideo). The 48 is discontinued, but the 50 is still there, and its within my price range. The Promaster also sounds great regarding manual control, and I'll check that out also to see which interface I'm more comfortable with.

@Mattdm - I looked at your site, its very comprehensive. Thanks for putting up all that information. I'm going to read about the Metz and the Promaster right now.
03-10-2011, 06:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The Sigma DG Super (530 or 610 versions) would also suit you well.

If you're interested in older, auto flashes instead of PTTL, you could look out for a AF280T Pentax flash, it did TTL with film bodies, but also auto. It's a very reliable flash.
03-10-2011, 08:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hal_a Quote
I looked at the Metz flashes online (bhphotovideo). The 48 is discontinued, but the 50 is still there, and its within my price range.
FWIW, the 50 AF-1 is priced right where the 48 AF-1 used to be.

03-10-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Sigma DG Super (530 or 610 versions) would also suit you well.

If you're interested in older, auto flashes instead of PTTL, you could look out for a AF280T Pentax flash, it did TTL with film bodies, but also auto. It's a very reliable flash.
Are the Sigma's controls simple to switch between P-TTL & manual use?
03-10-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Are the Sigma's controls simple to switch between P-TTL & manual use?
The sigma controls aren't really simple for anything. In this case, it's not awful, but requires more button-pressing than necessary. For manual operation, pres the Mode button until it gets to M. Then press SEL, and then press +/- until you get to the level you want, then press SEL again. (It seems to me that SEL button could be left entirely out of this operation.)
03-10-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
The sigma controls aren't really simple for anything. In this case, it's not awful, but requires more button-pressing than necessary. For manual operation, pres the Mode button until it gets to M. Then press SEL, and then press +/- until you get to the level you want, then press SEL again. (It seems to me that SEL button could be left entirely out of this operation.)
Thanks Matt
03-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Thanks Matt
I think you'd get used to it pretty quickly if you did it all the time. My main gripe is that if this is something you do rarely, you'll never guess how to do it without looking in the manual.