Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dave,
I'm going to jump in here too because I think I was looking for the same option. My English is probably just a little bit better than the OP so hopefully I can clarify this.

I always see pictures of flashes in the scene when they are just " turned on". Joe McNally's Hot shoe Diaries comes to mind

I wondered how they did this and if my flashes could do this too. I know my Sig 530 Super and AF360 have model modes that fire a "flickr" for a second or 2. Is this what I'm seeing in the image or does the AF360 and Sig 530 Super have a short continuous mode or a "model" mode equivalent to one that I might find on an Alien Bee?

03-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote

I wondered how they did this and if my flashes could do this too. I know my Sig 530 Super and AF360 have model modes that fire a "flickr" for a second or 2. Is this what I'm seeing in the image or does the AF360 and Sig 530 Super have a short continuous mode or a "model" mode equivalent to one that I might find on an Alien Bee?
Nope — it's like alohadave said. The flash is "frozen on" because it's in the picture.

Imagine a regular flash not in the picture. When you take the shot and examine the result, the light is on, right? Even though it was only a very quick burst, that's what's recorded.

This is the same thing, except you see the flash.

Your Pentax AF360FGZ and Sigma EF530DG Super can definitely do that too. They do it all the time.
03-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i dont think it frozen because it was in picture..

look at the picture i attached and the picture deiberson attached..

who push the test/model button..in tha deiberson pic, who push the button inside that chicken? i believe the modeling light will last less than a sec..
03-16-2011, 08:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote

who push the test/model button..in tha deiberson pic, who push the button inside that chicken? i believe the modeling light will last less than a sec..
These pictures are not using the test button or a modeling light feature. The flash is simply triggered as a remote, wireless slave. No buttons required.

03-16-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote

There are two ways of triggering flashes without wires. Radio frequency and optical triggering.

To repeat, there is no modeling light in these flashes.
03-16-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I get it. Thanks.. Basically...turn your flash on, take a picture of it and that's what you get. Once the flash in the picture was fired....it is no longer (and never has been )on.

Thanks guys
03-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #22
Veteran Member

To sum it all up, basically what you're seeing in the photos is the very fast duration of the flash itself (1/5000sec to 1/10000sec or something like that?) being captured on your camera with a shutter speed of 1/60-1/180.

You're capturing a photo of a split second. Rather interesting when you think about it.

Michael

03-16-2011, 03:05 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
To sum it all up, basically what you're seeing in the photos is the very fast duration of the flash itself (1/5000sec to 1/10000sec or something like that?) being captured on your camera with a shutter speed of 1/60-1/180.

You're capturing a photo of a split second. Rather interesting when you think about it.
That's true if the flash isn't firing at full power. If it is, the total light impulse duration is quite close to a typical shutter speed.
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

So the flash at full power is actually close to 125 or 180 shutter speed? That I didn't know. I do admit to finding the whole idea of flashes as being interesting.
03-16-2011, 06:20 PM   #25
Veteran Member

So the flash at full power is actually close to 125 or 180 shutter speed? That I didn't know. I do admit to finding the whole idea of flashes as being interesting.
Yeah. Check this out: Flash Duration - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

Basically, the numbers typically given by manufacturers for flash duration are easy to measure and sound good, but only tell part of the story. There's another measurement, called the T.1 duration, which gives a better picture of the amount of time the flash impulse actually contributes to the exposure.

At low powers on high-powered flashes, this really can be down to the ¹⁄₃₃,₀₀₀ of a second numbers we're familiar with — but at full power, a flash like the Metz 58 AF-1 takes ¹⁄₁₂₅ of a second. (Longer than the flash sync speed for Pentax, even. So be careful with that!)
03-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #26
Veteran Member

the sigma 530 super does have modelling light.
It produces relatively low power short pulses in longer duration to mimic modelling light.

Personally, I never use this function. I take a test shoot then adjust thereafter.
03-17-2011, 04:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks for that info, Matt.

I have reviewed your guide several times (saving for my Metz 58 AF-2 as we speak) but some of the more technical aspects I admit I glossed over. Due to our discussion here I'm going to go back and study some of those things in more detail. I'm used to using flashes but haven't delved really deeply into them.

Further addition: I just read your guide regarding the T.1 & T.5 speeds. Very interesting. I certainly wouldn't hold the low speed against Metz. As long as they provide the info, you can work around the limits. I've also found their tech support in Germany to be superb, I was looking for a cable for one of my 25 year old flashes & emailed them, they replied within an hour with the name & address of my local distributor in Canada. Very impressive.

Michael

Last edited by mtansley; 03-17-2011 at 05:02 AM.
03-17-2011, 05:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Thanks for that info, Matt.

I have reviewed your guide several times (saving for my Metz 58 AF-2 as we speak) but some of the more technical aspects I admit I glossed over. Due to our discussion here I'm going to go back and study some of those things in more detail. I'm used to using flashes but haven't delved really deeply into them.

Further addition: I just read your guide regarding the T.1 & T.5 speeds. Very interesting. I certainly wouldn't hold the low speed against Metz. As long as they provide the info, you can work around the limits. I've also found their tech support in Germany to be superb, I was looking for a cable for one of my 25 year old flashes & emailed them, they replied within an hour with the name & address of my local distributor in Canada. Very impressive.

Michael
You should be aware that the t.5 and t.1 times only really apply at full power. At less than full power the flash cuts the flash output and the decay curve is non-existent (which is what t.5 and t.1 are measuring).

It's really not that much of a problem unless you need to freeze action at full power.

In studio strobes (that are not IGBT based), the t.5 and t.1 times are important, and they actually get slower as you power down the flash. So you really need know what type of flash you are using.

Strobist: Rise (and Fall) of The Machines: Understanding t.5/t.1 Times
03-17-2011, 10:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
You should be aware that the t.5 and t.1 times only really apply at full power. At less than full power the flash cuts the flash output and the decay curve is non-existent (which is what t.5 and t.1 are measuring).
Good point. I should update my pttl guide page to better reflect that. There's some nice actual graphs (from a canon speedlite) here: Discharge Curves of Electronic Flash at Different Power Settings
where one can see that even at half power the abrupt cutoff is a big deal.