Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Flash Modeling/Torch Light

Hi,

I saw some flash can be use to light up/torch the object..is AF360/AF540 can do that as well? How about 3rd party like sigma 500 DG Super?

If the answer is yes, how to do that and what is it called? Modeling?

I dont know what is was called but it is something like this:

Name:  reflector4.jpg
Views: 1718
Size:  49.1 KB

Thanks

03-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do you mean the reflector that is attached to the flash unit in that photo?

Or do you mean the modelling light that some flash units have to let you see how the flash will light up the object before taking the photo? If that's the case, I know the AF540 can do that. I don't know about the Sigma.

Hope this helps.

Michael
03-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
What i mean is the flash light as a torchlight..you know how torchlight function right?

i know about the pilot/modeling button that fire pre-flash to calculate the right amout of light need and to check the shadow..but that is only for less than sec..i want it torch continuously like torchlight..

how to archive that and what did you called that?
03-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by v3t0 Quote
What i mean is the flash light as a torchlight..you know how torchlight function right?

i know about the pilot/modeling button that fire pre-flash to calculate the right amout of light need and to check the shadow..but that is only for less than sec..i want it torch continuously like torchlight..

how to archive that and what did you called that?
I know that in parts of the world an American Flash Light (Used to see in the dark. Usually, one kept in the car, house, garage..) is known as a Torch Light in other parts of the world.

So, if you're asking if the off camera flash as seen in your picture can flash continuously; then that answer would more then likely be no.

However, they're are a few that do light continuously.
Some are small enough to fit on the hot shoe on your camera and are around $50 - $100. Some cost a lot more to get a really good unit.

03-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is a thread in this section that mentions these LED modelling lights.

I'm not sure how to link to it but the title is 'LED modelling lights and beyond.'

Hope this helps.

Michael
03-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi,

I saw some flash can be use to light up/torch the object..is AF360/AF540 can do that as well? How about 3rd party like sigma 500 DG Super?
Many flashes have a mode where they can strobe really quickly in order to give you a sense of where the light will hit and where shadows will fall.

I have a page on this at

Modeling Light Option - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

but unfortunately I haven't gotten to update it yet for the new Metz and Sigma flashes. (Maybe I'll get a chance today.)

In short, though, the Pentax AF360FGZ and AF540FGZ can do this, as can the Promaster 7500EDF, and the Super models from Sigma (but not the ST models). The higher-end Metz flashes do, but I'm not exactly sure where the line is drawn on that in the new lineup. (I'll update this after I look.)

Note that this is much more useful with film cameras. With digital, you can just take a test exposure and see how it looks on the camera's LCD. Still, it's sometimes handy for light placement.
03-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Many flashes have a mode where they can strobe really quickly in order to give you a sense of where the light will hit and where shadows will fall.

I have a page on this at

Modeling Light Option - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

but unfortunately I haven't gotten to update it yet for the new Metz and Sigma flashes. (Maybe I'll get a chance today.)

In short, though, the Pentax AF360FGZ and AF540FGZ can do this, as can the Promaster 7500EDF, and the Super models from Sigma (but not the ST models). The higher-end Metz flashes do, but I'm not exactly sure where the line is drawn on that in the new lineup. (I'll update this after I look.)

Note that this is much more useful with film cameras. With digital, you can just take a test exposure and see how it looks on the camera's LCD. Still, it's sometimes handy for light placement.
not that what i mean actually..i dont want the flash flicker..i want to use the flash to light up the subject..not for checking shadow..

try look at your table lamp that you use for reading book..does it flicker?

im not talking about pre-flash that fire several time in a sec to check exposure or shadow..i want it work just like a table lamp..

03-12-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think I know what you're looking for. You are looking for a 'cool light'. It looks like a normal desk lamp but they generally use daylight balanced fluorescent light tubes.

None of the strobe flashes can do this work. You do need one of the cool lights to do what you want to do.

I could be wrong so please anyone, jump in here to correct me. I'm still learning this stuff as well.

Michael
03-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

not that what i mean actually..i dont want the flash flicker..i want to use the flash to light up the subject..not for checking shadow..
Yeah, sorry. The continuous-strobe feature is all that hotshoe flashes can do — they're made for fast, bright impulses, not continuous light.
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Just to make things more confusing, studio strobe lights (the large ones that sit on stands and plug into main power or large battery packs) act as strobes and also have a light called a 'modelling' light which does stay on all the time (if you want it to) so you can see how to set up your portrait or whatever you're lighting before you actually take the photo.

As Matt says, none of the small 'speedlights' have this function except as a fast flickering strobe which I find hurts my eyes.

Michael
03-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
None of the strobe flashes can do this work. You do need one of the cool lights to do what you want to do.
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
As Matt says, none of the small 'speedlights' have this function except as a fast flickering strobe which I find hurts my eyes.
IF none, how come the picture i attached can do that? i think that is Nissin model..also canon 430 EX/EXII which is cheaper than AF540 can do that..see attachment below..

Name:  reflectorshot1.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  96.6 KB

this function could be usefull for off camera macro shooting and for product shot

i am not looking into studio strobe since it is not portable, big, heavy and need high voltage power source to light up..so it cant be use outdoor
03-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

try look at your table lamp that you use for reading book..does it flicker?
As a matter of fact, yes it does. At twice the electrical frequency that is used. You just can't see it.

QuoteQuote:
im not talking about pre-flash that fire several time in a sec to check exposure or shadow..i want it work just like a table lamp..
No, flashes and strobes do not operate that way. If you want continuous light, you'll need to use a continuous light.
03-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

IF none, how come the picture i attached can do that? i think that is Nissin model..also canon 430 EX/EXII which is cheaper than AF540 can do that..see attachment below..

Attachment 85986

this function could be usefull for off camera macro shooting and for product shot
You need to clarify what you think you are seeing. In this shot, the flash is firing during the shot, and it is in the frame. There is nothing continuous about this light.

QuoteQuote:
i am not looking into studio strobe since it is not portable, big, heavy and need high voltage power source to light up..so it cant be use outdoor
They make batteries for strobes, and they most certainly can be used outdoors.
03-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

The two studio strobes I use (ok, I'm an amateur!!) just plug into normal household outlets and don't require any special power.

If you're looking to light up a subject or item continuously then you can purchase one or two of those cool lights I mentioned earlier. You could also purchase a couple of daylight balanced compact fluorescent lights and just use them in normal household desk lamps and try photographing that way. White balance your camera in case the bulbs aren't too good on the colour balancing. It won't cost you much and you then will be able to see what else you need (if anything).

Michael
03-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Note that the new Canon 320EX does have a continuous-light mode for video. There's nothing magic about it, though — it just includes an LED light source in addition to the flash bulb.