Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Flash Help?

I currently have a Pentax 240FGZ and its a pin in the butt to use, will I get any better performance out of the Yongnuo YN-560? At least I would be able to control the flash power and have the option of a swivel head.

Hopefully there have been some users that have tried them! Also will the 240 be able to be used remotely?

03-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to use any flash with a manual output setting remotely if you select a compatible trigger (whether optical, radio, or wired). If the flash only has one or two power settings it may not be all that convenient as a remote.

Manual flash isn't two bad if you print off a chart of aperture/iso/distance settings to carry with you or you are able to do the calculations on the spot. Trial and error works but it isn't as convenient for fast moving situations and getting close to the correct settings on the first shot.

If all you want is a reliable, consistent on camera flash you may be better off with a manual flash that has a couple of auto-sensor settings like the Pentax AF 280T, Sunpack 383 Super or Vivitar 285. There are many other similar flashes available on the used market.
03-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, I use radio trigger and whatever flash with manual control. YN560 is cheap compare to sigma530 super. Any flash will have problem with heat if it is used with full power, so do the YN560. It's not often I use more than 1/4 power in digital when you can bump iso to 400. Compare to film, eg. iso100, I have to use full power to have the same light.