Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
metz af-2 changing my shutter speed

Well this is interesting.

I upgraded from a Pentax-360 to the new Metz AF-2. I am reasonably happy with it for the little amount of time that I have played with it...but:

I have my K-20 set on AV and I have my Tamron 18-25-mm installed. If I have the lens on 18mm not matter what the lighting conditions were before I turned the flash on...it goes to 1/30. As I zoom out the lens to 250mm the widest apeture goes from 3.5 to 6.3. As I zoom out the shuttle speed is changed to a faster speed until I am at 250mm/6.3f/1/180 s.

Is this just another "anti shake" built in feature? I find myself going to manual during times where I would like the quicker AV feature.

I thank you for all that reply.

03-15-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

It's actually a setting, but I don't shoot enough flash to be more help than that.
I think you'll find that the lens aperture changes as you zoom.
03-16-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I know that the aperture changes with zoom...but the shutter speed would normally have to go slower to make up the difference...but it is going faster. It would make it imposible to drag the shutter unless I go manual.
03-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Don't have the camera with me, but I think you need to put the camera into "slow speed sync" mode.

If in SSS mode, the camera tries to expose normally then fills in with flash.

In normal mode, the camera adjusts shutter speed upwards to eliminate motion blur when using flash.

03-18-2011, 06:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beest Quote
I know that the aperture changes with zoom...but the shutter speed would normally have to go slower to make up the difference...but it is going faster. It would make it imposible to drag the shutter unless I go manual.
If you want to drag the shutter, put the camera body into slow sync mode.
03-18-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the input gents...it took me a while to find it but I did and it is reacting as I want it to. Too bad my flash is not working now. After trying to learn more about it and playing around it appears the flash head is dead.

PERFECT
03-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Let's hope it's not dead, but merely needs a reset. Suggest you try returning the unit to the factory default settings (it's in the menus somewhere) and see if that helps.

I've only played with mine the night I unpacked it, but am taking it along on a trip to Mt. Rainier this weekend to get some experience with it. If my experience is like yours, I'll be sure to post that! Again, let's hope not.