Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 07:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Underexposed Images with KX and Sigma 530 Super in P-TTL

I know there is an existing thread on this, but my images are not even close to being properly exposed.
I purchased the flash on marketplace so I want to rule out that I have a bad copy. Here are some images that I took of students in class for a project that we're doing. Out of the 25 pictures per class....I get 6-8 of them that look like this.

The flash goes off, but the image is dark. This is a common problem that I'm experiencing, not just today but the majority of times that I use the flash. What are your suggestions? FWIW...I purchased this model flash rather than a cheap Yongnugo just so I'd have the PTTL for on-board pictures. If this is a result of the PTTL system with a Pentax body....I'll be a little upset

03-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What setting are you using? Manual? X? P?
03-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Ok. I was in AV. But now I remember reading something in the manual about keeping it in P for Pttl. I just did another class and used P mode. There were no misfires. Is that the issue?
03-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I usually run it in X or P, Sometimes i will run in M, but thats only if im getting picky with settings... I love the 530 Super, but it has had its little issues i have noticed. Although this is my first off camera unit, so maybe its just me getting use to going off camera...

03-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the DG-530 ST. And i recall in the manual that it does say you can use the flash in P, Av, Tv and.. maybe some others (and how the camera will react or whatever to it). In other words, it shouldn't matter.

Aside from that, I can't really help - I've only had my flash for a few weeks now. heh
03-16-2011, 04:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My guess is that in Av mode you selected an aperture that prevented the flash from delivering the right amount of power. In other words, your aperture setting might have forced a shutter speed that was out of bounds for the flash.

If it happens again, try pressing the green button to see if the camera changes your aperture setting dramatically. Or just post the EXIF data of your two example shots.