Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
GerryL- my limited experience is that simply being a "P-TTL flash for Pentax DSL" does not guarantee functionality with all Pentax cameras (ala my K-r)...as seen in my prior posts in this thread. Frustrating. I'm now shopping for a Metz...

03-30-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
GerryL- my limited experience is that simply being a "P-TTL flash for Pentax DSL" does not guarantee functionality with all Pentax cameras (ala my K-r)...as seen in my prior posts in this thread. Frustrating. I'm now shopping for a Metz...
Yeah..kinda puzzling and a bummer!
10-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #18

I can confirm this issue. I had a K100D Super and it worked great with my Vivitar 383. When I got my K-r, I have the strobing problem in p-TTL mode, plus in manual power, it only goes off every other shutter release. I contacted Vivitar and Pentax support and they were of no help, basically blaming each other. K-r and K-5 have some new type of p-TTL programming. So much for a "p-TTL standard", makes it hard to trust anything now. That's why I'm going with a full manual flash now.

I'm selling my Vivitar 383 flash on ebay, but I also want to give buyers a fair heads up. I know it won't work with K-r or K-5, but can anyone confirm that the 383 fully works with the K-x/K-7 or earlier? I think it will, but I don't want to over-promise. Who knows if a firmware update to the older cameras could also break it...

Thanks
10-12-2011, 08:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jhonny0099 Quote
. So much for a "p-TTL standard", makes it hard to trust anything now.
Pentax certainly never claims that there is a "P-TTL" standard. Like all camera makers that I'm aware of, they treat their digital flash communication protocol as Proprietary Secret Sauce. Sigma, Metz, Promaster, and Icorp/Tumax figure out how to make flashes that work with it by reverse engineering, not by reading specifications documents — neither open nor licensed.

Anyway, since the reverse engineering isn't rocket science, I don't think there's any real reason to be scared, except that as we see here the protocol can change, either to make things better for Pentax flashes — or to discourage the third-party vendors.

Now, given the weaknesses in Pentax's current flash lineup, they pretty much need the third-party flashes to compete with Nikon or Canon. I think it'd be completely reasonable of them to license the protocol to Metz, or completely outsource flash production to them. But, I don't think that's in line with the way Pentax (or any of the Japanese camera companies) does things. Maybe it'll change with Ricoh, but I'm not holding my breath.

So, given that, I'd stick to the Metz flashes that can be upgraded via USB, or resign yourself to occasionally sending in Sigma flashes for upgrades. Promaster seems less on the ball with updating their older models for new cameras; I need to check back with them about the 7200EDF and 7400EDF — it's been a year since I checked. (Wow, time flies!)

The new Tumax DPT5xx series apparently also is capable of end-user USB upgrades. I haven't seen one in person yet. It'll be interesting to see if this trickles down to the Vivitar/Sakar/Digital Concepts models — and if, for those models, you're able to go directly to Icorp or whether you need to get tech support from Sakar (good luck with that!).

10-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
... simply being a "P-TTL flash for Pentax DSL" does not guarantee functionality with all Pentax cameras....
This is why I never buy any flash that does not have auto mode.

If for whatever reason I can't use the proprietary mode (changes in protocol, not being suitable for the occasion, being used with a different camera), I don't get stuck with a flash that always fires at full power.
02-15-2012, 05:23 PM   #21

Hi, does anyone know if the Vivitar DF-383 will work with K-r using the latest firmware (v.1.11)? if it doesn't work in P-TTL mode does it work fine in manual mode?