Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

918AF flash a dud, looking for alternatives

read some reviews, looking for an inexpensive flash for my K-r, took the $60 shipped eBay plunge. No luck, no communication evidently between flash and camera. Over exposed, fully blown images irrespective of shooting mode, FL, whatever. Though maybe the hotshoe wasnt seated fully, as I've read that elsewhere. Not the case here. Just my .02 experience...some may have had luck, but I reaffirmed my thought ya get what ya pay for, ....

Suggestions? Looking for $150 under used. Just need TT-lL (P-TTL?), ability to work w/ my K-r, swivel and bouce, LCD not requirement... would be simply used, on camera only

thnx

03-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't rely on the camera to think for you, expose manually?

I'll take that "dud" flash off your hands
03-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's a risk with the generic Chinese-make flashes. There's so many slightly-different versions of them that compatibility is a nightmare.
03-19-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
That's a risk with the generic Chinese-make flashes. There's so many slightly-different versions of them that compatibility is a nightmare.

.. as I found out!... I'm looking at the Vivitar DF-383 presently

03-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rrwilliams64 Quote
.. as I found out!... I'm looking at the Vivitar DF-383 presently
So..... Vivitar, the classic camera company went bankrupt. I think some of their designs went to Cactus. The name, however, went to Sakar.

And Digital Concepts is a brand name used by that same company. So, if you have problems with the Digital Concepts 918AF, well.... the Vivitar DF-383 is a newer version of the same. Since it's newer, compatibility will be different, but still not guaranteed for the future.
03-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I'm in a game of Chinese Flash Roulette ;-D

I dont want to spend the $$ for a, say, Pentax AF 540FGZ or a Metz 48AF1, so if I can stumble across one of these import bare bones flashes that will actually work, communicate in P-TTL and expose properly, I'm a happy camper. I'll see how the Sakar---> Vivitar D383 turns out....
03-21-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess I'm in a game of Chinese Flash Roulette ;-D

I dont want to spend the $$ for a, say, Pentax AF 540FGZ or a Metz 48AF1, so if I can stumble across one of these import bare bones flashes that will actually work, communicate in P-TTL and expose properly, I'm a happy camper. I'll see how the Sakar---> Vivitar D383 turns out....
Doesn't take more than a few of these to add up to the price of one of those, though!

03-22-2011, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
may end up there

yep, Matt, I may end up there after all, I'm sure you've seen it happen countless times.

Old Chinese proverb:
在 th 手中的一梅斯值得二塊糞 Sakar 在灌木裡

""A Metz in the hand is worth two non-compatible Sakar's in the bush"
03-24-2011, 07:40 AM   #9

I bought a Sunpak 26SR on ebay for $20 for fun. I use it in Auto Thyrister mode (no ttl) and it does a great job. Trigger voltage of 5.7 so it is safe with digital cameras.

Eventually I will get a real pttl flash, but for now this works great.

Ken
03-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am officially 0 for 2 and Matt is correct

Matt, you were so right. sigh...lesson learned. The Vivitar 383 does exactly the same as the 918AF. No communication w/ the camera, doesnt recognize zooming t different FL's (this version has an LCD), and no matter what mode I'm in camera wise (AV, M, AUTO, etc), the flash just "strobes" constantly then overexposes completely. I will now spend the $$ on a higher end/$$ unit.

One qstn, as I'm not overly knowledgeble (just enough to be dangerous)...is there instances where the camera has issue w/ P-TTL communication (perhaps the hotshoe, contacts, interal, etc) and its not the flash? My K-r is still under warranty.... my next thought is to take my camera to a brick and mortar store and try out a Metz flash right there and see if I have an issue with my camera, hotshoe, etc. Unlikely? Or is it not unrealistic to have two consecutive, defective flash units (esp when basically the same Chinese flash, just later iteration, as Matt stated)

thnx
ralph
03-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One qstn, as I'm not overly knowledgeble (just enough to be dangerous)...is there instances where the camera has issue w/ P-TTL communication (perhaps the hotshoe, contacts, interal, etc) and its not the flash?
The camera does not have P-TTL problems. The flash does not support P-TTL.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/65812-pen...83-review.html

Check out Matt's page for P-TTL options. The cheapest way to get a P-TTL is probably the Promaster 5050DXR module with the 5750 Flash. About $140 through Amazon.
03-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
??

I believe the 383 does indeed support P-TTL....I've just read several posts to the same effect and ....the box states the same, plus there's a setting for PTTL

My question is, in P-TTL mode, as soon as I power on the K-r, the flash flickers/strobes continuosly, for lack of a better word. Nor does the flash recognize change in FL, which I believe it should? Perhaps simply a compatability issue between this flash and the K-r? (odd, as the AF918 and the 383 exhibited the exact same results). again, flash firmly seated in the hotshoe. bad contacts? ???
03-25-2011, 03:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, now I know
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-r-forum/137599-vivitar-flash-kr-overexposing.html

the 383 would work with the K-x, not the K-r
03-25-2011, 05:51 AM   #14
Veteran Member

What cameras does the box say it will work with?
03-30-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So, these newer Pentax cameras are not supported?
I wonder what changed on the newer models of Pentax?
I have used this Tumax re-branded (mine is Bower) flashes with great success.