Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
pentax kx and a af200s

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a pentax kx dslr. I usually use a Sigma ef500dg flash but the shoe is broken and I am waiting for the part. unfortunately I am doing a story for the magazine I work for and need a flash by Friday. I found a used af200s and was looking to purchase it just to get me through this one assignment. I am concerned if it is worth it and will be able to do what I want. Any experiences or advice?

Thank you

Kerri
Inner Vision Artistry: Creations of Kerri Killion

03-30-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you need from the flash?

The AF200s really doesn't offer much in the way of features. No bounce, no swivel, one manual power setting, maybe 2 auto f-stops, no communication with the body, about 50% more power than the K-x built in flash. For $10 or so it might be better than nothing, but there will be a number of restrictions to work around.

For a bit more money a flash with a few more auto sensor settings and a few more manual power levels plus a tilt or tilt and swivel head would be quite a bit more useful, and in the longer term it would also be more flexible as a backup or remote slave unit.

The AF200T has the same amount of power but more manual settings. The AF280T has more power plus a tilt/swivel head. The Vivitar 283 or 285 (check voltage levels before buying) and Sunpak 383 offer more power, more output and sensor settings, and bounce heads. Even a cheap off brand flash with 2 or 3 auto sensor settings and a tilting head would be more flexible.
03-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums Kerri!
Is this the auto-thyristor type or the new one?
If the old one, just set the flash on "auto" and let the auto-thyristor do its job.
It has some sort of meter/eye in front of the flash that automatically meters the flash output and cuts it off when it gets the right amount of light.
I think those go for $25 or more?
If you want P-TTL then just go for one of these: DEDICATED AUTO PTTL FLASH FOR PENTAX KM K200D K20D K100 | eBay

..this will provide you with a bit of bounce too and it is P-TTL!
I would say it would be the same size as the AF200S with a couple more features with just adding a couple of bucks.
03-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks

Thank you I appreciate the feedback. Mainly I am looking for a flash that will be of some use photographing bands in low light situations. My sigma does a good job and luckily I found the replacement part in stock so it will only be a week with out it. I have looked at some of the less expensive flashes on ebay and the like but really was not sure what would be a good back up purchase for me. I read alot of reviews on the less expensive types but at the end of it my head was spinning lol Thanks again for any suggestions.

Kerri Killion
Inner Vision Artistry: Creations of Kerri Killion