Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible to use off-camera flash extension cord with AF360 to make it swivel?

Hi

Is it possible (or feasible) to use a flash extension cord with the AF360 so that the flash can now swivel?

I would imagine you would need some sort of a bracket/pole to hold the AF360? Anyone has done this before? Would this solve the limitation of AF360 since this flash cannot swivel side to side?

Thanks

10-27-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, you can do that. You'd need these Pentax accessories:

Hot shoe adapter FG, Extension cord F5P, Off-camera shoe adapter F. And a tripod to mount the flash on unless you want to hand-hold the flash. The Off-camera shoe adapter F has tripod mounting threads on the bottom end and a flash hot shoe on the top end.

Refer page 192 and 164 in the K100D user's manual.
10-27-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm..I dont want to hand hold the flash. I want the flash to attach to my k100D and I want it to swivel.
10-27-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

In that case consider a handle bracket and a shoe-mount ballhead swivel to go with it.

You would mount the camera body onto the bracket, which has a plastic handgrip on the left, topped by a cold shoe mount. You put the shoe-mount ballhead swivel on that and then screw the Adapter F onto the swivel. You can then bounce, swivel, or do anything else your heart desires regardless of whether the flash itself has those options or not.

10-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

And all that will work but by the time you get the grip, and the 3 connectors, you've spent as much or more than an AF540. each of those parts are $40-50 a piece and a decent used grip is around $25-40. But couldn't this all be achieved with wireless mode and a grip with ball head? There should be no need for the cables.
10-27-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

My grip is a Hakuba and ran about 10 or 15 bucks. The swivel is probably 20~30.

But I agree with the practicalities; may as well sell the 360 and apply that toward something that does what you want without a lot of jury-rigging.
10-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
And all that will work but by the time you get the grip, and the 3 connectors, you've spent as much or more than an AF540. each of those parts are $40-50 a piece and a decent used grip is around $25-40. But couldn't this all be achieved with wireless mode and a grip with ball head? There should be no need for the cables.
Good point. Now I need to re-evaluate the whole situation. How I wish the AF360 has got swivel head and has a more robust battery door.

By the way, say the battery door of the AF360 is damaged. Is there any DIY solution to get the battery door to continue to contain the batteries? Perhaps using a velcro tape or rubber band or some stainless steel bracket or something?

10-28-2007, 03:41 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think if you are careful it shouldn't be a huge issue with the door and I suppose those would be solutions if it should break.
10-28-2007, 05:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The other benefit is you get the flash off the camera, if only a bit. Should result in better flash shots. If you get the F5PL 3 meter cord, you can mount the flash to a tripod or light stand, and manipulate it any way you want.

Of course, you need to evaluate the cost of all this against your needs.