Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #1

Can the k-x use a handle mount flash?

I saw a sunpak 544 on Craigslist and wondered if I can use it for a flash for my k-x. This would be my flash instead of getting something like the af540fgz or sigma 610 super. Maybe?

Thanks.

edit: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52809-REG/Sunpak_0544_544_Auto_Flash.html

edit: I'm missing a flash sync port on the k-x. Is this right? So I can't use it...

04-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use something like a Wein Safe Sync, which goes onto your hot shoe and the flash plugs into it.
04-09-2011, 06:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
You can use something like a Wein Safe Sync, which goes onto your hot shoe and the flash plugs into it.
I read if can fry my camera, possibly. How can I know?

edit: would this be a good flash? Or are is something like the 540 or sigma better? I know the sunpack is older but it is cheap and supposedly powerful, and off to the side. I don't know what I'd be giving up against the new ones though.
04-09-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure there are any advantages to this flash over something else unless the price is right.

You could get it to work I think but only in manual mode, no TTL. An adapter like this one would allow you to fire the flash using a PC cable. Not sure if the voltage would still be a problem or not, I would not mount it on my camera without checking the voltage even with the adapter.

So, whatever the flash costs, plus the cost of the adapter, plus the cost of a PC cable if you don't have one. And then you have to worry if the voltage will fry your camera.

According to this source the Sunpak 544 has an acceptable voltage, but I still would not put it on my camera without personally testing it. Manufacturers often change specs without telling anyone so just because the 544 they tested was OK does not mean another would be.

I will admit it has a certain 'cool' factor if like the 1950's press photographer look.

04-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure there are any advantages to this flash over something else unless the price is right.

You could get it to work I think but only in manual mode, no TTL. An adapter like this one would allow you to fire the flash using a PC cable. Not sure if the voltage would still be a problem or not, I would not mount it on my camera without checking the voltage even with the adapter.

So, whatever the flash costs, plus the cost of the adapter, plus the cost of a PC cable if you don't have one. And then you have to worry if the voltage will fry your camera.

According to this source the Sunpak 544 has an acceptable voltage, but I still would not put it on my camera without personally testing it. Manufacturers often change specs without telling anyone so just because the 544 they tested was OK does not mean another would be.

I will admit it has a certain 'cool' factor if like the 1950's press photographer look.
To test it I found this:

How do I test the trigger voltage of a flashgun? - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum

"Get a voltage or multi meter from radio Shack (about $15.00). Set it to read DC voltage. the positve connection touches the center connection in the flash foot and the ground connection touches the one in the side of the foot."

So I do all this the flash and press test on the flash? dumb question?

I wanted to use it in portraits.
04-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I read if can fry my camera, possibly. How can I know?

edit: would this be a good flash? Or are is something like the 540 or sigma better? I know the sunpack is older but it is cheap and supposedly powerful, and off to the side. I don't know what I'd be giving up against the new ones though.
The idea of the safe sync is to protect the camera from potential over voltages.(that's the safe part).
Dedicated TTL flash is over rated. A good, powerful off camera auto flash is a better tool.
I recall the 544 as being a good unit, it or it's predecessor was on my short list when I was buying a portable flash.
I ended up with a Metz 60 CT-2, which, 27 years later, still serves me well as a front line wedding flash.
Had I bought the 544, I suspect I would still be using it.
04-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sunpak 544 is a good flash, but I recommend a 555 instead. It's the most powerful in the 5xx series, has safe trigger voltage (no need for a SafeSync). It uses the same module as the shoe-mount 4xxD series. If you are patient, you can find a good copy for about $70 - $80. Note that the Wein Safesync costs about $50.

I myself prefer Metz 45 series, in particular Metz 45CT-4 or 45CL-4. The only drwaback of the Metz 45 series is that it does not have many manual ratios setting (only full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/40), unless you can find a Mecamat, which is somewhat rare.

04-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently picked up a similar Sunpak 3600 handle mount flash for my K10d.

It has a high sync voltage so I need to build a voltage reducing circuit before using it directly connected to the camera, but otherwise it (and similar flashes) will work fine. I picked up this particular model because it came with multiple AA battery trays, an AC adapter, a battery pack and charger, most of the light modifying accessories Sunpak sold at the time, and the off camera sensor cord. There are manual ratios in 1/3 stops from full power down to 1/64 and 7 auto aperture settings available at any ISO from 25 to 800 with the sensor cord. With 6 AAs instead of the 4 in my Vivitar 285s the flash has roughly the same power but recharges in less than half the time (6 seconds at full power). There is also a motor drive mode that lets the flash fire at ~4 frames per second at the lower power settings.

For $40 plus some time and around $12 in electronics components I expect to come out far ahead of buying a cheap TTL flash for $100+.
04-10-2011, 07:51 AM   #9

Original Poster
I will look in to the 555 because the craigslist guy wanted double the ebay price...But these flashed in general cost less than the auto counterparts so maybe thats the way I have to go. I don't know yet. I am thankful for everyone educating me.
04-10-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Sunpak 544 is a good flash, but I recommend a 555 instead. It's the most powerful in the 5xx series, has safe trigger voltage (no need for a SafeSync). It uses the same module as the shoe-mount 4xxD series. If you are patient, you can find a good copy for about $70 - $80. Note that the Wein Safesync costs about $50.

I myself prefer Metz 45 series, in particular Metz 45CT-4 or 45CL-4. The only drwaback of the Metz 45 series is that it does not have many manual ratios setting (only full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/40), unless you can find a Mecamat, which is somewhat rare.
Thanks.

I was looking at your signature and you have the af540fgz and the sunpaks. When would you use the 540 and when do you use the handle mount sunpak?
04-10-2011, 12:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
When would you use the 540 and when do you use the handle mount sunpak?
Frankly, I haven't used my handle-mount Sunpak units for quite a while. But I can't bear selling them

I use the Pentax 540 when needed for advanced features (high speed, optical wireless, trailing curtain sync, ...).

For light travel, I use the Sunpak 36DX (same as the Sunpak 444D).

If I need raw power and a lot of fast shooting (weddings, ceremonies, ...) without worrying running out of battery, Metz 60CT-4. Normally I bring along a Metz 45CL-4 as back up.

In general, a handle-mount flash is good for events when you need power and fast recycling time. If you have a "better" (more feature-rich) flash, the handle-mount flash is not wasted. It still can act as a secondary flash. For parties, I use a main flash attached to the camera (oftentimes a Pentax 540 in A mode, with light bounced), and a big flash (either Sunpak 611 or 555, or Metz 45-CT1) to light the background.