Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #31
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks Allison for the comments. Yes, I'll have to save up for the next flash I plan to buy.

Luckily my motherboard I bought when I built this computer has onboard video and I can use that until I get the funds to buy a better warranted video card. Plus I have a $10 gift card I can use towards my computer parts purchases. I'm buying this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

04-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Look, I'm stating right off I read through this rather quickly, so maybe I missed it being mentioned, or am missing your exact use. Off camera and HSS can not be used together with any of the flashes. Maybe if you are using a sync cord, but definitely not using them wirelessly.
04-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
You mis read what I said. I didn't even mention off camera or HSS. I was talking about using a shoe mount flash that would allow me to set the shutter speed to something higher than 1/180s. I doubt I'll ever use it off camera.
04-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I found one on B&H just using the name and searching all of B&H. This is a P-TTL flash right? I don't want to make another mistake like the last two I made ending up sending one back because it was defective, this one I just bought because it wasn't P-TTL. And, though I don't want to jinx the sale, I might have one of my film cameras sold to help lessen the cost of a P-TTL flash.
The Sigma ST flash you bought is a P-TTL flash. It doesn't do what you're looking for, HSS. High speed synch allows a higher than standard shutter speed. P-TTL is a pre-flash used as an exposure check. The Sigma Super models do P-TTL, wireless and HSS. The ST models only do P-TTL, not the other two. Check Matt's website for ideas on features and flash choices. The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You mis read what I said. I didn't even mention off camera or HSS. I was talking about using a shoe mount flash that would allow me to set the shutter speed to something higher than 1/180s. I doubt I'll ever use it off camera.
Your terminology did imply off-camera, because you said you wanted "off-board" flash. Most people would translate that as off-camera. HSS is high speed synch, which means a shutter speed faster than 1/180s.

Regarding bounce and wireless, they're great features even for someone who doesn't do portraits. I've used bounce and wireless for macros and for real estate photos. Indirect lighting would be a real boon to your flower photography. My advice is to hold off on purchasing a flash until you can get one with all the features. The Sigma 530 Super used to be the least expensive full-featured flash, but it's been discontinued in favour of a newer unit, so may not be available.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.
04-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Dan for explaining the above. Now I understand a bit more about flashes and their functions and features. I will wait. I have to now because I need computer parts first and foremost.
04-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #36

I recently bought a EF500 DG ST Super, which is the flash I wish I'd bought when I first bought a EF500 ST years ago, I paid $150usd roughly, there may be better deals out there if you wait around and haunt the marketplace.

I wanted this flash as I want off camera ability to be able to get some different lighting effects, and also HSS. You can use the body flash to control the external flash, without the body flash being visible in the image, so you can use the external flash to get highly directional lighting effects, lots of fun.