Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 06:24 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shooting with AF540 on Stroboframe

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Quick question about shooting with a AF540 mounted on top of a stroboframe. I'm second shooting my first wedding this weekend and want to use my K-5 mounted on a quick flip frame with my AF540 mounted on top of the frame. I also have a few of the cactus V5 triggers and for the reception was planning on using a lightstand in the corner with a manual Yongnuo-560 with a cactus receiver mounted to it.

my question is...if i want to use the AF540 in P-ttl mode, is the only way to connect it to the K-5 by using a hot-shoe sync cord (which I don't have right now). If I sync it using the in camera wireless, will I have to keep my pop-up flash up the whole time?

additionally, what is everyone else using and how are you using it for this type of setup. i'm mostly interested in what modes is everyone using and on what?

thanks in advance!

Chris

04-15-2011, 06:41 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'm a big fan of the Stroboframe Flip Flash Bracket, but I use my flash (360FGZ) on a Pentax sync cord.
04-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cactus triggers do not allow TTL, that would require the sync cable. Using the buil-in wireless means keeping the pop-up flash in the up position unless you get a second hot-shoe flash to act as Controller/Master.
04-15-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Before I bought a Pentax hotshoe adapter FG and a Pentax extension cord F5P, I used a third-party cord for Pentax. I think it's the same as this one (I didn't buy it from this seller). The cord works find (I'm still using it for flashes that don't have a port for the F5P). The only minor problem is that instead of one joint (bracket - flash) now there are two (bracket - cord end - flash), making the setup less stable, mechanically and electrically.

I tried the idea of controlling the flash on the bracket wirelessly using the built-in flash, but quickly gave that up. Many times the remote flash did not recognize the strobes from the built-in flash, in particular when the reflecting light was weak (e.g. in a large church) or when the ambient light was strong (e.g. outdoor).

04-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot weddings (and I am in Pittsburgh, too) and I have a bit of a different setup for the reception. For the portraits, group shots, and ceremony (if flash is allowed) it is the 540 the whole way. For the reception I am using a Vagabond mini and a light on a stand with my cactus triggers. I just wanted the ability for a little more power (not that I will always need it). I don't use a flash bracket because I am comfortable with maneuvering the tilt/swivel feature.

Update with how it went. Pretty rainy day for a wedding (I assume it was today); I was actually really glad I didn't have one this weekend. Hopefully their indoor locations were pretty!
04-17-2011, 07:11 AM   #6

Original Poster
thank you everyone for your posts and help! I'm shopping for a Pentax TTL cord now, so i'll be prepared for the next one.

For yesterdays wedding (second shooter) I ended up unbolting the upper half of the stroboframe and removing it. I kept the AF540 mounted on top of the camera, and I velcro'd the cactus trigger to the handle section of the stroboframe. it actually worked out pretty good in a pinch, but i'll still get the TTL cord and do it right.

Thanks again!

Chris
04-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Allison Quote
I shoot weddings (and I am in Pittsburgh, too) and I have a bit of a different setup for the reception. For the portraits, group shots, and ceremony (if flash is allowed) it is the 540 the whole way. For the reception I am using a Vagabond mini and a light on a stand with my cactus triggers. I just wanted the ability for a little more power (not that I will always need it). I don't use a flash bracket because I am comfortable with maneuvering the tilt/swivel feature.

Update with how it went. Pretty rainy day for a wedding (I assume it was today); I was actually really glad I didn't have one this weekend. Hopefully their indoor locations were pretty!

Hello Allison, since you're a local too, here's the update on how it went....it rained...alot! haha

The ceremony was at Heinz Chapel and the reception was at PPG Aquarium. Believe it or not, after the ceremony we had a break in the weather and it was gorgeous out for about an hour. We did the formals at the church then snuck away to our backup spot (Penn Station) for some fantastic group shots. Since the reception was in-doors there were no issues there.

All-in-all, for my first wedding experience, it went well. I learned a great deal and have several more second shooting experiences coming up, with no plans or interest in tackling a wedding myself anytime soon.

thanks for your post!

04-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
On Stroboframe's I used an off camera cable with my Nikon Sb900's. The problem I've come across with Pentax, and I only moved this week, is that I will have to get a cold shoe adaptor. I wouldn't use the Stroboframe flash holder on the plastic foot of the 540.