Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 sigma 530 super. they are great, but you should study the menu settings. the manual came with the flash is hard to understand, and they print it too small. I need to re-copy/enlarge to read. There is many push button in sequence, you should get used to it. and google a bit about the settings too. I found better explaination outside the user manual.

I don't know about the pentax flashes, but p-ttl for my sigma is a bit under exposure, especially when I use it bounced. You should testrun the flashes in similar environment with both EV compensation - in flash and in camera body.

I also ended by using manual flashes in weddings, not p-ttl.

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
the stroboscopic function looks fun and would be great to get some creative shots with
yah, I though that too, but never had a good outcome of it ;-)

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
know about the flash turning off when it's in manual and off-camera
yes it turns off after 3-5 min in manual mode, and can't wake up by the center pin. what a annoyance. However if you put the flash in slave mode, it will not turn off.

I also use old cheap flashes with radio triggers. they can wake up by the center pin.

Last edited by hoanpham; 04-18-2011 at 01:03 AM.
04-18-2011, 01:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ok thanks mate, i guess i could live with it turning off in 3-5mins.
It looks like i will have time to pick it up Wednesday afternoon after work.
04-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #18

Definatelly Metz 50

You can get it at Amazon and get prime all in all $300 and free 2 day shipping or $4 1 day shipping.
I am a Metz fan, I do have older big guns (60 ct1 and 4) its the best for the money
04-18-2011, 08:21 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by ishchupak Quote
You can get it at Amazon and get prime all in all $300 and free 2 day shipping or $4 1 day shipping.
I am a Metz fan, I do have older big guns (60 ct1 and 4) its the best for the money
Prime doesn't apply for shipping outside the continental US.

04-20-2011, 01:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got It

Just got home with the SIGMA 610 SUPER.

First impressions of the SIGMA (compared to the AF540FGZ)

-Battery door feels so much better!

-I much prefer the way Sigma locks onto the hot shoe via the turn clamp, even tho ive never had the "famous stuck pin issue" with the AF540, i still didnt trust it.

-Size and weight is pretty close, the sigma is abit taller and wider but it is much thinner.

-AF540FGZ user LCD with many buttons and switchs is way better.

-The sigma is definitely more powerfull.

-I like the fact the 540 doesnt have a locking buttons for the head and swivel but at the same time the locking feature of the sigma is much more stable.

-Now ive only taken a hand full of shots with the sigma so far, but it seems that the PTTL on the sigma is more reliable than the 540 when mounted on the K-5.
Im getting perfect exposures every shot in PTTL with the sigma with any lens, where as with the Pentax 540 it would over expose alot on certain lenses. And would require a adjustment of FEC -2.0.

-So far the recycle times seem to be a bit quicker (not by much) with the sigma.

Still some more testing and getting familar with it needs to be done.
But overall i think its quite a good flash, and is certainly is good value for money
04-20-2011, 03:32 AM   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good one Simon.
Thanks for sharing your impressions.
Hope it serves you well this weekend, and thereafter...
04-20-2011, 04:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Very encouraging start. What kind of batteries are you using? I found recycle times dropped by 50% when I changed from alkaline to rechargeable NiMH. I use Rayovac hybrids but Eneloops would be equivalent. I haven't tried disposable lithiuums but they could also be faster than alkaline.

Last edited by audiobomber; 04-20-2011 at 05:55 AM.
04-20-2011, 04:47 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Ash ,from first impressions so far, im sure it will do mighty fine this weekend.
And once I get my 540 fixed, it will be nice too know i will have a excellent back-up PTTL flash ready. The question is.... which one will serve as main and which one for back-up? They both are excellent in different ways

Dan, i use Eneloops.
04-20-2011, 05:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Did some more playing,

-I like that when i turn it on it remembers exactly what setting/mode i had it on last.

-Works perfect with my cactus v5 triggers, also timed it on how long it the "auto-off" takes in manual mode: around 3 minutes (used my phones clock, just realised when typing this my phone has a dedicated stop watch! )

- The UI is actually pretty easy once you play with it abit.

-Another bonus, my Stofen omnibounce for the AF540fgz is a perfect on the sigma

-The pouch that came with the flash is made from the same material as the Pentax pouch but it opens up long ways like a ladys purse :ugh: , but on the plus side it fits perfect in the pentax pouch
04-22-2011, 01:34 AM   #25

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback because I have the same issue. Metz or Sigma? In a couple of weeks I have to make a decision.

Following up your feedbacks.
04-25-2011, 06:27 AM   #26

Photos: Albums
After reading this and other articles, ordered the Sigma flash from Abes of Maine. On sale for 235.00 and free shipping. Should have it by tuesday. Looking forward to this, thanks for your insight on this flash.
Joe