Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which flash- Metz 50 AF-1 or Sigma Flash EF-610 DG Super

As some of you may have read my other thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/139932-my...nto-water.html

I am now in desparate need of another flash with the same features of the Pentax 540.

Now i would get the 540 again but locally its $899 and i need it by next weekend for a wedding. And can not afford to buy the 540 at the point in time. I bought it from B&H last time for about $370 but after postage it will be over $400 and that over my budget right now. Plus its a bit risky getting it here on time.

So im left with the local choice

Metz 50 AF-1 $361
OR
Sigma Flash EF-610 DG Super $319

I really loved my 540, it was so easy to use.

I will be using it in PTTL high speed sync on camera, PTTL for some bounce shots and alot of manual mode off camera strobist style with triggers.

Out of the Metz or Sigma which one is do you think i would like better?

04-15-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mate, for those two flashes, those local prices are excellent.
And both those flashes are very good - I'd find it hard to say one was 'better' than the other.
I have the Sigma 500 and dislike its UI and those pesky flash head locks, and it's pretty similar with all Sigma flashes. But it is a very capapble flash with even more features than the AF540FGZ, like multistrobe exposure function. The build quiality is also very good. The 610 would also have an boosted GN rating to the Metz.

Nevertheless the Metz is well known for its relative ease of use and flexibility. It has the ability to add in that power pack that reduces recycle time. I'd give that unit a good look myself. If you can head to the store that sells them and have a test drive with your K-5, you may find one easier to use over the other, which I think is the important determinant for your purposes.

All the best in that Simon.
04-15-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
As some of you may have read my other thread - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/139932-my...nto-water.html

I am now in desparate need of another flash with the same features of the Pentax 540.

Now i would get the 540 again but locally its $899 and i need it by next weekend for a wedding. And can not afford to buy the 540 at the point in time. I bought it from B&H last time for about $370 but after postage it will be over $400 and that over my budget right now. Plus its a bit risky getting it here on time.

So im left with the local choice

Metz 50 AF-1 $361
OR
Sigma Flash EF-610 DG Super $319

I really loved my 540, it was so easy to use.

I will be using it in PTTL high speed sync on camera, PTTL for some bounce shots and alot of manual mode off camera strobist style with triggers.

Out of the Metz or Sigma which one is do you think i would like better?
I have the Metz 50 AF-1. It's my 1st flash, and I really like it.

Not sure where you're buying it, but I got mine new from Amazon for $230.

With that said, I've been reading up on the Sigma 610 and was going to purchase it as well in the near future.

You're going to be able to do a few more things with the 610 then with the Metz.

I'm sure there are those here, who can give you the benefits of having just the Sigma 530 Super over the Metz 50 AF-1.

One that comes to mind, is that the Sigma can be set up as Master. The Metz is unable to do that.

Hope that helps a little.

(I just noticed your Down Under, so not sure what the price on Amazon might be, if even available to you.)

Last edited by glee46; 04-17-2011 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Had the wrong model on the Sigma and corrected it.
04-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks guys , yeah i wont be buying online because there is too much risk of it not getting here on time for the wedding so it be bought in a local brick and mortar store.

Good point Ash, i will take my K-5 along with me and try them in store.

04-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Trying to look at as much info as possible on both models,
one negative to me on the sigma is there is no option to disable auto power off (90seconds) which may be a pain when using it off camera strobist style, i dont want to have to keep turning it on if it shuts off.

the metz on the other hand can be disabled just like the pentax

Can anyone with the sigma 610 super confirm that it does auto power off in manual mode?
04-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, it looks like i have no choice but to get the sigma 610 super.
Just rung up the store and they dont have the metz in stock, only the sigma 610 super.
04-16-2011, 02:56 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Ok, it looks like i have no choice but to get the sigma 610 super.
Just rung up the store and they dont have the metz in stock, only the sigma 610 super.
Keep us posted. I would really like to get your feedback on it.
04-16-2011, 03:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Will do I will go in and pick it up sometime this week. I got them to put one aside for me

04-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

All the best for the shoot this weekend mate.
Look forward to your feedback.
04-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
B&H have fantastic shipping. I ordered a Metz 58 AF2 from them on a Monday and it arrived on Friday. Much cheaper than buying locally.
04-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah B&H do have fantastic shipping, ive bought many items from them, would buy on friday and it would be here monday or tuesday.

But its too much of a risk now for it to get here by next weekend for the wedding i have to shoot and its a public holiday here this friday, so local is the safest choice.

Thanks Ash I will keep you's posted, and post up some first impressions of the sigma flash once i get it this week.
04-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Yeah B&H do have fantastic shipping, ive bought many items from them, would buy on friday and it would be here monday or tuesday.

But its too much of a risk now for it to get here by next weekend for the wedding i have to shoot and its a public holiday here this friday, so local is the safest choice.

Thanks Ash I will keep you's posted, and post up some first impressions of the sigma flash once i get it this week.
Looking forward to your impressions. You're the first person I've heard to get one. Looks like a nice unit. I have the 530 Super and I'm very pleased with it. I don't know about the flash turning off when it's in manual and off-camera. I've used it many times off-camera in P-TTL mode and it did not turn itself off.
04-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok thanks Dan

On another note on the positive side of the sigma , the stroboscopic function looks fun and would be great to get some creative shots with.
04-17-2011, 06:11 AM   #14
Pentaxian

On another note on the positive side of the sigma , the stroboscopic function looks fun and would be great to get some creative shots with.
There are a lot of features on the 530 that I haven't used, including that one.

I found this blurb on the older EF-500 which may help you get up and running: http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/ef500cheatsheet-a4.pdf
04-17-2011, 06:21 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dan! Saved it, should be a good help once i get it