Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2011, 03:02 PM   #16

Original Poster
I think I get It...

so lets say I bought this
Amazon.com: YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon: Electronics

I can use it on top the pentax and itll flash Instead of the built in one?

04-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
i just got the vivitar 285 hv last week. can use it on camera, off camera with radio triggers or wired to cam viz pc port--I have k20d.
has limited old school auto mode--will not p-ttl with camera.
but works great and is a real beast.
not as nice as my metz af 58, but 300 cheaper!
that strobist site is agold mine and will answer all your questions...
read the lighting 101 and 201 sections
04-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #18

Original Poster
whats p-ttl ?
04-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
I think I get It...

so lets say I bought this
Amazon.com: YN-560 Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon: Electronics

I can use it on top the pentax and itll flash Instead of the built in one?
Oops I made a mistake .. it's the 560 I have not the 460 .. so yes the one you have linked to.

Yes of course, once fitted into the hot shoe your built in can't pop up !

P-TTL is the Pentax version of auto exposure mode for the flash (each manufacturer has their own acronym, E-TTL etc.). Google is your friend for a fuller explanation. The Yongnuo 560 doesn't have this as it's a manual flash (you adjust the settings yourself) - not a problem for most conditions but in constantly changing light / distances etc. then the P-TTL flashes are much easier to use (but more expensive).

04-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #20

Hi there, I thought I would chime in to try and help out. I am new to photography too but I own the YN-560 and the YN-460 ii. I think another poster touched on something regarding using your flash off-camera (which I have heard many people highly recommend over on camera) that I think is important. Both the YN-560 and YN-460 ii have built in optical sensors. This means that besides using the flash on-camera and with a wireless radio trigger, the flash can also be triggered by the pop-up flash on the camera. The YN-460 ii has a decent optical sensor but the YN-560 has a better one that will even work pretty well outdoors. If that would work for you, you wouldn't even need a radio trigger right away even though they are cheap enough. Just wanted to share my two cents.
04-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #21

I haven't been able to achieve consistent pops using the YN-460II and the built-in as a trigger, got a cheap set of wireless remotes from ebay, much more consistent results.

QuoteOriginally posted by SharonPhotoGuy Quote
Hi there, I thought I would chime in to try and help out. I am new to photography too but I own the YN-560 and the YN-460 ii. I think another poster touched on something regarding using your flash off-camera (which I have heard many people highly recommend over on camera) that I think is important. Both the YN-560 and YN-460 ii have built in optical sensors. This means that besides using the flash on-camera and with a wireless radio trigger, the flash can also be triggered by the pop-up flash on the camera. The YN-460 ii has a decent optical sensor but the YN-560 has a better one that will even work pretty well outdoors. If that would work for you, you wouldn't even need a radio trigger right away even though they are cheap enough. Just wanted to share my two cents.
04-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #22

Original Poster
the YN-560 Is about 65 on amazon not bad at all, but why would I not want to use It on top the K-x?

If I used It as an off flash, should I still use a defuser?

04-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the YN-560 Is about 65 on amazon not bad at all, but why would I not want to use It on top the K-x?

If I used It as an off flash, should I still use a defuser?
I do have question on YN-560 flash. Does it work in Auto mode similar to simple thyristor flash like Sunpak 422,444 and Vivitar 285HV flash? From pictures, I only see the mode indicator for M, S1 and S2. And what is the difference between the two slave modes.

In M mode, does one have to do all the guess work on power adjustment from 1/1 to 1/128? While the manual power range is flexible from 1/1 to 1/128, it makes it less desirable if auto mode is absent.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 04-19-2011 at 04:07 PM.
04-19-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Does it work in Auto mode similar to simple thyristor flash like Sunpak 422,444 and Vivitar 285HV flash?
No, Hin. It does not have auto mode.

From pictures, I only see the mode indicator for M, S1 and S2. And what is the difference between the two slave modes.
I think S1 is "dumb" slave (triggered by any strobe) and S2 is to ignore the pre-flash strobe (in p-TTL, i-TTL, ...).

While the manual power range is flexible from 1/1 to 1/128, it makes it less desirable if auto mode is absent.
Exactly my feeling. I posted something to the same effect in this thread (post #6).
04-19-2011, 06:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The YN460 and a set of Cactus V4 triggers was my main flash set-up for a very long time. I got both the flash and the V4s together for under $100 and they were very reliable. The only reason I now use something different is due to a set of rechargable batteries having a melt down inside the YN460 and killing it, and the V4s were dropped, kicked and generally abused just a bit too much.

From reading the thread, I'm guessing this the type of thing you want to hear:
- YES, the YN460 will work in the hotshoe of your K-X
- YES, the YN460 will work as an off camera flash/gun using either a cord or wireless triggers.

The flash is fully Manual though, but very easy to adjust and use. When on camera the K-x will "see" a flash attached and in Av, Tv or other auto modes will guess at a good setting taking into account a flash is being used - all you do then is use the camera +/- flash compensation, or the up/down power adjustment on the flash to get a good exposure.

Off camera, use what ever setting you want and manually dial in the flash power as needed and trigger it using something like the Cactus triggers.

As mentioned previously in the thread there is a new model now, the YN560 and although V4s are still available, V5s are out now.

My old set-up, K100D, Cactus V4 and YN460:
YN460 off camera triggered with the V4s and the flash as the main light

YN460 off camera triggered with the V4s and the flash as fill light balanced with natural light

YN460 on camera, Av mode, flash fired up into bounce card:

Whether you use a bounce card, diffuser, or any other form of lighting modifier is completely up to you and the look and style of image you want to achieve.
04-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #26

So, hoanpham and Deiberson, you are saying that I can repurpose my old SunPak that I used on my film Pentaxes, and is too high voltage to put on the K-5, with a trigger and receiver and use off camera (which may just suit me better anyway)?

[Beautiful baby shots above. Am looking forward to going through the Lighting 101 lessons—thanks for the link.]
04-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ahill Quote
So, hoanpham and Deiberson, you are saying that I can repurpose my old SunPak that I used on my film Pentaxes, and is too high voltage to put on the K-5, with a trigger and receiver and use off camera (which may just suit me better anyway)?

[Beautiful baby shots above. Am looking forward to going through the Lighting 101 lessons—thanks for the link.]
If you purchase a set of Cactus V5 triggers you'll be able to use the old Sunpack both off camera wirelessly and on camera when mounted on top of the V5 being used as the transmitter.

You won't be able to do anything TTL, but the V5 unit will pass the firing pulse to the flash and act as an isolator between camera and flash.
04-19-2011, 08:15 PM   #28

Thank you, Warped! That is so helpful. Will be looking into it. I am so thrilled I can dig out that SunPak now, and maybe even find another. Wow, I am excited!
04-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #29

Original Poster
thanks, awesome shots btw. that helps clear some questions up,

Is the YN560 much better then the yn460ii? i know its newer but other then that ...idk
04-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #30
Veteran Member

thanks, awesome shots btw. that helps clear some questions up,

Is the YN560 much better then the yn460ii? i know its newer but other then that ...idk
When my 460 died I was all set to grab a 560, but then a friend gave me their Pentax specific Metz AF flash after they switched to Canon .... so can't comment on the 560.