Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #61

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

see I read about It and I still don't get what T-ppl or whatever Is about,

so you are suggesting I Invest In one thats Auto? when I search flashes I really have no Idea which are and are not....

04-27-2011, 12:43 AM   #62
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
These should work for you:
A $20 used Vivitar 283 - automatic exposure control
VIVITAR 283 FLASH AUTO THYRISTOR | eBay

A radio trigger so you can have the flash off-camera to avoid the Deer in the Headlights look.
Remote Radio Wireless Flash Trigger+2 Receiver FLASHGUN | eBay

Wires for off-camera flash use work ok but are a pain in the neck and cost just as much.
04-27-2011, 12:51 AM   #63

Original Poster
looks good for the price, so it will auto use the right amount of light, instead of having to adjust it myself? Even though Its wireless?
04-27-2011, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #64
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lovemehate Quote
looks good for the price, so it will auto use the right amount of light, instead of having to adjust it myself? Even though Its wireless?
Yes; the Thyristor type auto flashes have a sensor that watches the flash as it goes off; when it sees that enough light has been bounced off the subject it shuts off the flash.

It is not TTL (Through The Lens) monitoring but works as well in most circumstances. P-TTL means "pre-flash TTL" - the flash goes of once & the light is measured through the lens; the camera then decides how to adjust the flash to get the right exposure....Wireless P-TTL is out of your price range and may not offer much advantage in most circumstances.

04-27-2011, 01:19 AM   #65

Original Poster
wow, well for the price...that sounds great. so ill need the wireless triggers? will a off cam cord work aswell?
04-27-2011, 01:24 AM   #66

Original Poster
what about this? Amazon.com: Precision Design DSLR300 Universal High Power Auto Flash with Zoom/Bounce/Swivel Head for Digital SLR Cameras: Electronics

it looks safe for the pentax and is auto flash
04-27-2011, 01:34 AM   #67
Inactive Account

It's likely ok (the viv 283 I mentioned early is a known quantity - this one is not - at least to me.)

I'd get a radio trigger too. It'll make a big difference in the quality of your photos. Here's one from amazon: Amazon.com: CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes Other products by cowboystudio: Camera & Photo

04-27-2011, 01:47 AM   #68
Inactive Account

wow, well for the price...that sounds great. so ill need the wireless triggers? will a off cam cord work aswell?
An off camera cord will work well, but:

1) it will cost about as much as a radio trigger
2) a cord is a pain in the neck when you stop taking the photo & want to move the camera or the flash because the cord requires you to move both at the same time.

For example, say you hold the camera in one hand and the flash a little up and to the left in the other hand to get a great photo. Now you want to put the flash down to scratch your nose; you can't because it is hooked to the camera by a wire.

Or you have the flash mounted on a stand over there & you want to go adjust the model's Tutu; I guarantee you will trip over the wire and your camera will crash to the floor.

On the pro-wire side, the wire doesn't use batteries and is only one thing rather than two. Also a wire doesn't fail randomly.

Trust me here; I use a wire with a P-TTL flash & the wire is a PITA.
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM   #69
Inactive Account

Thanks for the explanation on the wonders of wires. I had been thinking that was the way I wanted to go, but not now. I can see the things you mentioned happening to me!
04-27-2011, 11:44 AM   #70

Original Poster
so when am shopping for flashes ANY flash that says "automatic" or "Af" Will work with my pentax (at least wireless) and It will sense the settings automatically via flash?
04-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #71
Inactive Account

so when am shopping for flashes ANY flash that says "automatic" or "Af" Will work with my pentax (at least wireless) and It will sense the settings automatically via flash?
I don't know what "AF" means in the context of flashes.

If the flash says "auto" or "Thyristor" then it will work pretty well for you.

It does not automatically detect your camera's settings. You'll have to tell it the camera's ISO and F-stop. Then when you take the photo the flash will automatically give the right amount of light.

But it is not at all a difficult thing to do; basically you tell the flash "ISO 200" and "f/8" once then use those settings whenever you take a flash photo.