Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Newbie, K-x, Flash?

Hey Guys, I am a TOTAL NOOB at flash(though I understand functions like TTL, P-TTL, Rear Curtain Sync, High Speed Sync). Though I don't understand those guide nos. and other stuff. And I've noticed I learn more when I have the equipment .
So, I was surfing the forums and came across the Nikon SB-28 flash. If I buy this for the K-x, what features am I gonna miss? Do I have to go all-out manual and set the flash compensation on the flash????

Again, somewhat noob.

04-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amidtb994 Quote
Do I have to go all-out manual and set the flash compensation on the flash????
That's one thing you can do. The other is to set the auto flash setting, which allows the flash to determine the amount of light needed for correct exposure at a given ISO and aperture. All interactive features beyond merely triggering the flash won't work with the SB-28, including all the curtain sync stuff, focus assist, and TTL.

If you don't want to pay big bucks for a flash getting a unit with auto flash capability is the way to go. The Pentax AF280-T seems to be a big favorite around here, and usually sells for nearly half what the SB-28 often goes for.
04-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
What about the Youngnou YN-460 OR Youngnou 460-II?
04-19-2011, 10:20 AM   #4

I swear by my YN-460II Use it for all my stobist needs.

I also have a bowen that I use for PTTL with a cable to keep it off axis.

Dave

04-19-2011, 01:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amidtb994 Quote
What about the Youngnou YN-460 OR Youngnou 460-II?
Seem to be nice flashes for strobist uses. Like most new flashes under $100, you can't expect them to be as reliable as the more expensive flashes. They are cheaply made and if they break down on you it isn't always easy to get them replaced.

The older Pentax (and Nikon flashes) are very well made and, as long as they haven't been greatly abused, are likely more dependable then the cheap Chinese made stuff.
04-19-2011, 01:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'd take a Nikon SB 24/25/26/28 over any of the Yongnou 460/560 any time.

The only advantage of the Yongnou over the SB is the optical slave functions. I'd get an RF remote trigger (e.g. Yongnuo rf-602) in place of the optical slave.

The SB units have better build and auto mode, none of which can be fulfilled by any accessory.