Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Need advice on flash kit for prom photos

I don't own a flash, and need some help on what to buy.

My daughter will be going to prom with a big group. I would like to take photos of the couples, but I can't count on natural light. I would like to have two light sources off the camera. It seems like getting something that is PTTL compatible would be good. In addition, I would like to have something that is capable of HSS so I can use my fast lenses and maybe try some action shots in the future.

After studying Matt's website (fantastic resource) I'm thinking about buying two Sigma EF610 supers. I've also thought about the Metz 50, but it seems like a big drawback that it isn't able to be a master, even though it is a bit cheaper.

Is there a better option for two flash units with PTTL and HSS capability? Is there a cheap second flash that will work with the Sigma?

Last edited by klh; 04-25-2011 at 11:17 AM.
04-25-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a Sigma EG-530DG Super - it is fully functional with P-TTL (inc HSS) etc... However - I do not feel it is very robustly built compared to Metz flashes I have owned/handled over the years. Also, the P-TTL is not infallible; more reliable is a good auto flash TBH, although you won't get HSS. it will also be considerably cheaper!
04-28-2011, 05:24 AM   #3
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just ordered two Sigma 610 Supers. I really wanted the Metz 50s, but the inability to be a wireless master was a show-stopper, and the 58 was out of my price range.

Now off I go into the world of Strobists!
04-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #4

Just got my 610 Super the other day. Really nice quality in the build. Does not seem confusing at all for set up, pretty easy. I have only used it twice, but am happy with what it has done so far.

04-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I would like to have two light sources off the camera. It seems like getting something that is PTTL compatible would be good
I was under the impression that the pttl function does not wotk off camera... I may be wrong on this though...

If I am right...

I just ordered two Sigma 610 Supers
Fair enough to have one flash with pttl ability... but why not just get a 2nd manual flash with ability to be slave...

Now off I go into the world of Strobists!
Me too... and just when I understand something... something else confuses me!!

My daughter will be going to prom with a big group. I would like to take photos of the couples
Hope she has a great night and you get your shots!!

All the best
Dave
04-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #6
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Fair enough to have one flash with pttl ability... but why not just get a 2nd manual flash with ability to be slave...
If I understood it correctly, a slave can't do wireless pttl. I actually thought about getting the Sigma 610 and a Metz 50, but decided to buy two the same so I wouldn't have to worry about compatibility or learning two menu systems.

Me too... and just when I understand something... something else confuses me!!
Given that I've never done much flash work, this has been all new to me as well.
Hope she has a great night and you get your shots!!
Thanks.
04-30-2011, 04:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The only problem I find with my Sigma is that I catch the curtain when syncing to 1/160th. I really only find reliable success at 1/125th esp when I'm using it off camera. I've got 4 speedlights and I find the AF 540 to be the most consistent and versatile. If I was only going to use the flash for manual applications (which I mostly do), I'd stick with my cheap Chinese Yongnuo's. For 40-60 bucks, they work as good as their $400 counterparts when shooting full manual. The AF 360 would suffice but I'm not sure why Pentax can't make this with the ability to full swivel. I love the TTL feature of the 360 but its pointless if I can't bounce right or left.