Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
And thanks mtansley for leaving the exif data in... Very useful!
Ignorance is truly bliss in this case. I just exported the photo from lightroom, uploaded it to the forums and somehow got it right!! I didn't know that you could strip that data off!!

04-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
http://www.flickr.com/photos/92795107@N00/4203826768/in/set-72157622615052624

Two flashes...one in umbrella, the other in a softbox. The main problem outdoors is you have to choose the time if you're running speedlights, unless your camera has an electronic shutter (e.g., LX3/LX5, G12, D40/D70, etc....
05-02-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers a.seki...Great!!

Love the HDR's on your facebook too!
05-02-2011, 03:27 PM   #19

A recent stobist shot with a local group. One flash with an umbrella on the right.

Jim

05-02-2011, 11:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It's "model based fashiony stuff" but here's some of my strobist work

These 2 were using a YN-460 mounted on a tripod firing into a Demb Bounce Card and diffuser to add fill light, triggered with Cactus V4s.

These were using a set of Boling battery powered strobes, just the one strobe connected to the battery and firing through a large'ish rectangular softbox using Cactus V5s as triggers

These were a YN460 fired via V4s, flash was bare and bounced off the roof

I regularly take my Bowens Monolights on location - but that may as well be a studio shoot.

For what it's worth - I've no idea about the inverse square thing and my lighting techniques have been refined and developed with lots of trial and error (LOTs of error). Now I picture the final image in my head, set the lights up using guestimation, set power levels using best guess based on past trial and error and am usually pretty close first go and after some minor tweaking I'm off and running. I'm kind of scared to read things like strobist blogs and sites in case I find out just how wrong I'm doing things

Last edited by Warped; 05-02-2011 at 11:46 PM.
05-05-2011, 07:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Warped Quote
For what it's worth - I've no idea about the inverse square thing and my lighting techniques have been refined and developed with lots of trial and error
That's GREAT man... Cheers for all the placement detail and stuff too... Very helpful!
05-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I lit this one with my car's headlights.

This one was lit with a white umbrella.

05-16-2011, 09:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

There is nothing hard to understand about the reason for light drop-off due to the inverse square law.

Imagine you have a paint brush and one ounce of paint. Imagine that your arm can only move a certain amount up and down, left and right. Imagine you have a paint brush with a handle that let's you reach out and paint one meter away from you. Lastly, imagine that the limits of your arm movement means you will be able to paint a one meter by one meter square surface. Paint the surface with your one ounce of paint.

Now....imagine you get a longer brush and can now reach two meters away, with your arm still moving just as before. The area you can paint...twice as far away....will now be two meters by two meters....four square meters. Paint that surface with one ounce of paint.

As you can see, any portion of that second wall will only get 1/4 the amount of paint as the first wall.

A third wall twice again as far away (with a brush to match) will give a four by four meter section....sixteen square meters, and that one ounce is getting seriously thin.

Now substitute "light" for "paint".

And the inverse-square law does NOT apply only to point light sources. I will happily show you umbrella shots that prove it.

05-19-2011, 10:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Anyone have any examples of strobist work outside of a studio setting they'd care to share?

I'd particularly like to see night-time-city-shot-type-stuff if anyone has any...
There should be lots of examples here: Flickr: The Strobist.com Pool

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
"Strobist" is a vague, trendy word. Do you want any strobes, or just off camera flash guns?
Nothing vague or trendy about it -- it's David Hobby's blog: Strobist

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
And the inverse-square law does NOT apply only to point light sources. I will happily show you umbrella shots that prove it.
In physics, the inverse square law specifically references point sources: Inverse Square Law
05-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I can't decide whether I am pleased or distressed to learn that light shot through an umbrella apparently goes on forever, experiencing no loss in intensity.

I was having so much fun playing with rapid drop-off from a shoot-through placed very close to subjects. I guess I'll stop now that I know it doesn't happen.
05-20-2011, 03:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I know you like to be a smartass sometimes, but no one said there is no light falloff from light sources that are larger than a point. The mathematics behind the light falloff from a non-point source differ from the mathematic equation that is part of the inverse square law. That difference isn't great enough to invalidate the practical application of the law as it relates to photographic lighting, but the difference is real, and that's a fact.
05-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Then for the purposes of discussing lighting on a photography forum, the inverse square law also applies to non-point lighting. You said as much in your last sentence. To even bother to bring up the inconsequential difference is a level of pedantry worthy of some sort of prize.
05-20-2011, 06:23 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If you two don't get a private message from the moderation team I shall feel picked on...

Cheers for the Flickr link... Liking the 'set-ups' with the posts there... Have been very useful since finishing uni for the year and having more time to play...
05-21-2011, 09:48 PM   #29
Pentaxian

here are a few examples of my strobist work with Pentax cameras...I also use Nikon CLS for commercial work with my D3s and sometimes I throw in a few of my pentax flash units in set to their "dummy" optical slave mode, which happen to be able to ignore the pre-flash from my nikon flash units.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:36 AM.
05-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #30
Veteran Member

A few examples of my strobist work oustide, 540 w/shoot thru umbrella-