Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Examples of strobist work outside of studio...

Anyone have any examples of strobist work outside of a studio setting they'd care to share?

I'd particularly like to see night-time-city-shot-type-stuff if anyone has any...

04-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
"Strobist" is a vague, trendy word. Do you want any strobes, or just off camera flash guns?
04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Strobist" is a vague, trendy word. Do you want any strobes, or just off camera flash guns?
Fair enough... I'll (after deadlines...) be going out with 2 flashguns and wireless triggers... It'd be good to see what people can do with similar set-ups to myself...
04-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Well, without knowing your experience level, or exactly what you'd like to shoot, I would highly suggest watching (buying, downloading, how ever you can) Zack Arias' One Light. It really breaks down flash photography to it's basics.

04-26-2011, 07:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers Rory... Will do...
Was actually hoping to see peoples shots purely for 'inspirational' purposes... If I see an effect I particularly like I can then ask questions relating directly to what I (then) hope to achieve...

Last edited by DaveHolmes; 04-26-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: pluralising
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Yeah, I knew what you were going for. I don't have a ton of examples. Most of my off camera lighting is monolights. But that info is key. I've shot for 10 years, and I've never had someone summarize it so succinctly.

Have you tried searching on Flickr?
04-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Yeah, I knew what you were going for. I don't have a ton of examples. Most of my off camera lighting is monolights. But that info is key. I've shot for 10 years, and I've never had someone summarize it so succinctly.

Have you tried searching on Flickr?
Cool... just watched the first 20mins on youtube and have 2 dvd downloading on BT... I'm using manual flash anyway... But the 'inverse square law' is quite confusing... Gonna have to watch that a couple times...

I keep looking on the strobist flickr page but there's a lot of model based fashiony stuff there... and it doesn't grab me much... Kinda want to create my own atmospherics in urban situations... Not sure how to describe... Erm.... LOL

04-26-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Yeah, I think even Zack mentions he doesnt' fully understand inverse square. Just remember the basics and you have much more knowledge than a lot of people.

I started a thread about studio lighting and what people have, and just got a bunch of comedians giggling with links to "the sun". I would think you would have more success with a flash thread, though.
04-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look at devisor's portraits on threads he's started here as well as his website...

As for my own, I've done most of my off-camera strobist portraiture during daylight hours.
04-27-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually, inverse square law is simple. If the surface is twice as far away, it gets one fourth the light. So, 4 feet is f/11, 8 feet is f/5.6, 16 feet drops to f/2.8. The problem arises when the photographer starts using light modifiers, (umbrellas, softboxes, etc.) as the inverse square law applies only to point light sources. As a rough rule of thumb, you can expect that twice as far equals four times the power.
04-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Here's a practical example of the inverse square law....

Take your subject and put them about 10 feet in front of a white wall. Place a flash about 8 feet away from your subject. Shoot the scene and your subject AND background will be illuminated.

Now take that same flash and same scene and place the light directly on top of the subject.....perhaps 1 foot from their face. Even though you're light is now closer to the background (by 7 feet), the background will be much darker. The closer you get the light to your subject, the amount of light that goes behind them will diminish. Inverse Square Law. Why? I have no idea. Most people don't. You just need to know how to apply it.
04-27-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
But the 'inverse square law' is quite confusing
It's not a rigourous application of that law when you apply it to a flash, but it's a good approximation. It's basically an assumption based on how you calculate the area of a sphere based on its radius.

If you want to learn about remote flash photography, a wonderful place to start is the Strobist blog. the danger is that if everyone starts shooting like that guy, it won't be creative anymore. But I believe learning the basic techniques from him can be very enlightening.
04-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Here's a few

lumopro lp120 @ 1/2 power into white shoot through fairly on axis

scrim overhead, canon 480ex at full power into brolly box camera left

lumopro lp120 and vivitar 2800d into white shoot through, at 45 deg camera left and right
04-27-2011, 08:59 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Anyone have any examples of strobist work outside of a studio setting they'd care to share?

I'd particularly like to see night-time-city-shot-type-stuff if anyone has any...
Well, it's the first time I've shared any of my attempts. These two were taken of my wife & I posed next to a rental car that I really liked. They're nowhere near what others do but I thought they were rather neat.

Pentax K200d with a cheap radio trigger.
2 Metz 45 CT-1 flashes with Mecamat controllers and cheap radio receivers.
Flashes on light stands in driveway and neighbours thinking I'm mad.

I believe I was shooting bounced into two white umbrellas. It was a dark night and afterwards I realized that the car was none too clean!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
04-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers guys... And thanks mtansley for leaving the exif data in... Very useful!