Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wireless flash with M lens

Can anyone recommend a reference, or workaround, for achieving wireless flash slave control when using a manual lens on my K-5? M mode removes the wireless flash menu option. I would like to use the onboard flash as a control for my 540 FGZ. The only way I have found so far is to set the flash to S2, and it then fires in manual mode, triggered by the onboard flash. But that way the onboard flash is full on, giving two flash sources. I suppose I could mask the onboard flash, directing the light with a reflector towards the remote flash, but am looking for a more elegant solution.

04-26-2011, 08:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I need to go mount my only M lens and try that. Not a combination I have tripped over yet. If I learn anymore than what you just taught me I will post it.

edit - Yikes, I learn something new every day. M is the same as no lens attached and I guess its got to know the aperture to calculate whatever it does. I await somebody smarter to post the answer.

Last edited by imtheguy; 04-26-2011 at 09:04 PM.
04-26-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

"A more elegant solution" requires more equipment.

- Use another flash attached to the camera's hotshoe to trigger the 540 in S2 mode. Ideally, the flash on the camera has manual power ratio (so you can reduce the power), with head that can swivel and/or bounce (so you can direct the light).

- Use RF remote flash trigger (e.g. Yongnuo RF-603).

I wish the built-in flash had manual output ratio control. Don't need much; (1 1/4 1/16) is sufficient.

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-26-2011 at 09:08 PM.
04-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
"A more elegant solution" requires more equipment.

- Use another flash attached to the camera's hotshoe to trigger the 540 in S2 mode. Ideally, the flash on the camera has manual power ratio (so you can reduce the power), with head that can swivel and/or bounce (so you can direct the light).

I wish the built-in flash had manual output ratio control. Don't need much; (1 1/4 1/16) is sufficient.
Agreed, more equipment is the quick solution and I have plenty of parts but am always interested in researching non-obvious issues like what the OP has presented. Just for fun, not because it will replace my RF transceivers.

04-27-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote

I wish the built-in flash had manual output ratio control.
Thanks, SOldBear. I was hoping to find a way to use the onboard flash as a trigger, without it contributing significantly to the exposure. I guess it will be more equipment for me. I like your suggestion of using a swivelled and dialled down external flash on the hotshoe. That way the low level flash can be directed towards the remote flash as a trigger. Overall easiest, though, will be RF.
04-27-2011, 07:47 AM   #6

maybe this helps: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/40690-p-ttl-matrix...pk-lenses.html