Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 02:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Flash Diffuser. Please Share!

Hi friends,

I just bought AF360FGZ. cool flash and I have plan to buy diffuser for it.
Has anyone having experience with external flash diffuser.

Which one is better? Omni bounce (like stofen), Lightsphere(like garryfong) or bouncing card (like DembFlash product)?

Please share your photos before using diffuser and after using diffuser that you choosed.

thanks alot

04-29-2011, 03:48 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No photos from when I didn't use diffusers are available right now, but from your list I've used Stofen and the simple in-built card of the AF540FGZ, and they both do the job OK, especially when there's not a good surface to bounce off.

I still like to bounce without diffuser, or use off-camera flash with shoot-through umbrella diffuser on a tripod even more than using the basic diffusers. The beauty dish is another option you haven't mentioned but does produce some great results.

Here's a photo using an off-camera wireless flash with umbrella diffuser:
04-29-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vegabraveian Quote
Which one is better? Omni bounce (like stofen), Lightsphere(like garryfong) or bouncing card (like DembFlash product)?
One is not better than another. They do different things and have different looks.
04-29-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use a bouncer for on camera flash [https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/50941-diy-making-flash-bouncer.html] and umbrella softboxes for off camera flash [https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/106596-diy-horizontal-flash-b...ht-stands.html].

With the bouncer:

Tim

04-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have actually been working with the Honlphoto flash gel system - which has proved to be quite effective especially since it uses a Velcro quick strap with a rubberised underside to grip onto the flash and therefore there are no adhesives being used.

I got the honlphoto set up because sometimes I find myself working in mixed light - situations where a 5000K light source will stand out far too much so the CTE gels combined with the frosted diffuser is a good combination. I have used the lightsphere however I prefer the stofen personally IMO it is far more efficient - and compact.

the Pentax AF160FC Ringflash has a built in diffuser and it is superb for portrait work.
04-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I use a bracket Stroboframe Quick Flip 350 Bracket 310-635 B&H Photo Video to mount my AF360FGZ directly over the lens of my K10D with battery pack. I use 2 Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F with a short coiled cord between them to sync the flash in P-TTL mode. To soften the flash I use Photoflex On-Camera XTC II Softbox - Large XT-OCLRG II B&H Photo

P.S. I've been using this basic set up since my Super Program and AF280T days (with a different sync cord).
04-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I've never had luck with the stofen. At least, it's never seemed to add any benefit over the bare flash. I've never tried one, but have heard a lot of people swear by the gary fong type.

04-29-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It's funny, I've never understood the conceptual idea of the Stofen or Lightsphere over a bounce card or foamie DIY. Many people use them successfully though, so somebody tell me where my logic is wrong.

The main point for me is, if there is a wall, ceiling, or other object to bounce light off of, that is always the best diffuser. That's always step one, bounce most of your light off some LARGE surface. Also, in most situations, while doing this, send a small amount of light to your subject via the built in bounce card, piece of paper, whatever.

In cases where there is no wall, ceiling, or other large object close enough to bounce light off of, you need to add something to your flash to make the light source larger. My thought is, the larger the better. Now, if you keep your flash on camera, adding a diffuser will help, but it's not a HUGE difference, because it's all about the relative size of your light source to your subject which takes distance from the subject in as a factor.

Having said that, back to the stofen, and GF lightsphere. In what cases would these be better than a foamie, or some kind of big bounce card? The idea of these products is that the light hits them and scatters in all directions. If I have a ceiling or wall to bounce off of, I want to bounce almost ALL of that light off it, to make it more directional and add character. Why would I want to scatter it? If I don't have anything to bounce off of, then I want to reflect off of a large surface, certainly larger than a stofen, and again, what good is throwing the light in all directions if there is nothing to reflect it back? Your just adding to your recycling time for no reason. So, I don't understand when a Stofen or Lightsphere would be better. A couple of years ago, I experimented with all kinds of DIY diffusers, including Stofen clones from rubbing alcahol bottles, and never found them to outperform more directional tools. The only thing I can think of is that using a Stofen type thing requires less thinking and adjusting? Just point it up, it throws light everywhere, and gives even lighting and you don't have to worry about adjusting? Somebody help me here.
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
It's funny, I've never understood the conceptual idea of the Stofen or Lightsphere over a bounce card or foamie DIY. Many people use them successfully though, so somebody tell me where my logic is wrong.

The main point for me is, if there is a wall, ceiling, or other object to bounce light off of, that is always the best diffuser. That's always step one, bounce most of your light off some LARGE surface. Also, in most situations, while doing this, send a small amount of light to your subject via the built in bounce card, piece of paper, whatever.

In cases where there is no wall, ceiling, or other large object close enough to bounce light off of, you need to add something to your flash to make the light source larger. My thought is, the larger the better. Now, if you keep your flash on camera, adding a diffuser will help, but it's not a HUGE difference, because it's all about the relative size of your light source to your subject which takes distance from the subject in as a factor.

Having said that, back to the stofen, and GF lightsphere. In what cases would these be better than a foamie, or some kind of big bounce card? The idea of these products is that the light hits them and scatters in all directions. If I have a ceiling or wall to bounce off of, I want to bounce almost ALL of that light off it, to make it more directional and add character. Why would I want to scatter it? If I don't have anything to bounce off of, then I want to reflect off of a large surface, certainly larger than a stofen, and again, what good is throwing the light in all directions if there is nothing to reflect it back? Your just adding to your recycling time for no reason. So, I don't understand when a Stofen or Lightsphere would be better. A couple of years ago, I experimented with all kinds of DIY diffusers, including Stofen clones from rubbing alcahol bottles, and never found them to outperform more directional tools. The only thing I can think of is that using a Stofen type thing requires less thinking and adjusting? Just point it up, it throws light everywhere, and gives even lighting and you don't have to worry about adjusting? Somebody help me here.
The Sto-Fen is designed to be used in relatively small-medium rooms where the walls and ceilings are white and can be used for bouncing. The theory is that the Sto-Fen emulates a bare bulb and throws light in all directions. When the light bounces of all the walls and ceiling, it makes the light many, many times larger than the flash head giving you a very soft light that looks pretty good.

It's also useful for using in softboxes and umbrellas to maximize the light spread and minimize hotspots.

If you aren't bouncing off anything or outdoors, it just robs power. Some people do use it to spread out the light if they are using optical triggering or wireless (optical) triggering (CLS, iTTL, eTTL, PTTL, etc).
04-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Well, you sound like you're pretty new to this, Vega, so before diving in to what I've written below, bear in mind that other ways are going to be easier and much more plug&play, like a nice diffuser.

(Or a cheapie diffuser. For knocking-around with a flash of similar power to your 360, I use a very cheap diffuser a la Hong Kong Ebay that's more or less a sock with some shiny foil on the inside of one side. (The idea is that you tilt the flash up like you're using a bounce card, with the foil in there facing the subjects, and it'll disperse the light in the general directions. It has the virtue of being convenient and you can take verticals without changing anything but how you tilt the camera: the drawback is that it does this by flattening the light *too* much to look very artful. I do find it handy for the kind of social snaps that occur in situations when the photographer isn't exactly being a walking calculator, herself. (Yeah, the usual pubs&parties sort of thing. )

Fancier diffusers are basically intended to provide the same sort of effect without overdoing it or eating too much light. They often do this by being bigger and more directional and *whistle* Carefully-engineered. ) The usual idea being to have a flash that can throw a lot of light, and then shape and modify that light. (Am I making sense to you, here?)

Big determining factors really come down to a) The size of the light source and b) the directionality of the light. A bounce *card* essentially makes the light source bigger in area, while making it mostly go forward toward the subject. If you bounce off a ceiling instead, you get an even bigger light source, (the ceiling,) but the light's coming *down* onto the subject, and it also means the light is that much weaker and incidentally colored like the ceiling. A diffuser essentially will take light from the flash and send some of it in varying directions: spread it out and redistribute it: and in the process also giving you a bigger emitter.

But as bounce cards go, Demb makes some nice stuff: (Especially if you combine their bounce cards with their *bracket:* I think this would make a great little combination with an AF 360, though the learning curve might be a bit much. I'm a little biased toward it cause it's very similar to the ways *I* was taught, and with a clever way to make it all small and versatile. (Especially for small units (or big old ones) that don't swivel. )

The way I do things is a little less the-usual than many, though: it's about a minimal amount of light placed where you want it. I mention it cause I found it a really good way to *learn* about flash: you have to be aware of the light balance and where the shadows fall, (less so with modern automation, I'll grant: these computers really can make this much easier) ...The Demb website has some little videos to explain why someone might want a cockeyed-looking setup like that, and it might or might not be educational for you. It depends how much effort you want to put in and if you like the promised results.

Someone told me about these guys here and I was like, 'Aaah, that's just perfect for me.' I'm going to shamelessly convert a nice bracket I've laid hands to into something very like theirs.
04-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
The Sto-Fen is designed to be used in relatively small-medium rooms where the walls and ceilings are white and can be used for bouncing. The theory is that the Sto-Fen emulates a bare bulb and throws light in all directions. When the light bounces of all the walls and ceiling, it makes the light many, many times larger than the flash head giving you a very soft light that looks pretty good.

It's also useful for using in softboxes and umbrellas to maximize the light spread and minimize hotspots.

If you aren't bouncing off anything or outdoors, it just robs power. Some people do use it to spread out the light if they are using optical triggering or wireless (optical) triggering (CLS, iTTL, eTTL, PTTL, etc).
Thanks. My thinking though, is in a small or medium sized room, most photos would look nicer if you DON'T throw the light all around. Throw it more off a wall and have it be directional to show some character and depth. I suppose though, if you just throw it everywhere it's safer, more even, and easier. I can definitely see the use in softboxes and umbrellas though.
04-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Jake, that depends on the distance from the flash to the reflective surface, then again from the surface to the subject. Sometimes it is preferable to spread the light out more than what is possible by simply bouncing off a nearby reflective surface (e.g. low ceilings or nearby wall).

StoFen is useful for those kinds of situations, but indeed otherwise it just wastes light and battery power. The problem with relying on reflective surfaces is that they are fixed and you are at their mercy for the effect they have on your light source. Bring your own diffusers and you have much more light control.

DIY softboxes for flashes are a great idea, and this forum has a number of threads that go into these in some detail, such as https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/137589-...e-flashes.html
04-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm cheap. Here are mine.
04-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

have you lookd at this type of solution? it dos not require a wall or ceiling , but softens the harsh flash and expands it like all soft boxes.
http://www.lastolite.com/pdfs/Ezybox-Speedlite-Instructions.pdf
other brands are available.
04-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
I'm cheap. Here are mine.
Hey, I like yours.
Patent-pending?