Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Which flash should I get?

Hi, I've been reading about flashes for far too long and posting questions and feel it's now time to pull the trigger and buy one. All I really want at this point is better indoor family get-together pics. I hate the way the Kx pop-up makes everything look (and all other pop-ups, for that matter). It has to be under $100 or my wife isn't going to be too happy about it (actually, she might not be too wild about the flashes bordering on $100!). But I'd like a flash that has room to grow as I grow, whatever that means. And for some reason I think I'd like something automatic but with a good bit of manual control (but I really don't know why).

Here are the flashes that are on my fairly short list. I'd like anybody who wants to, to chime in about any or all of these choices. (I also know that a lot of people seem happy with their Metz flashes, but they are just too pricey for me right now.)

Nikon SB-24 (anywhere from $60-$80 or more on ebay)

Pentax AF 280t (anywhere from $50-$80 on ebay)

Digital Concepts 918 AF ($70 on ebay. I like what I've read but this model doesn't have any manual controls--I don't think)

Digital Concepts 952 AF (I think, but I'm not sure. One ebay seller has one for sale for $89, but I'm not sure it's the 952. The ad doesn't actually list a brand name or a model, but the picture is of a Digital Concepts. It has a GN of 42m, has a zoom head, and has 5 levels of manual power settings)

Vivitar DF-283 AF Series 1 ($85)

Rokinon d980afz ($94 but I don't think it has manual controls).

And that's it! I realize that the vivitar, rokinon, and digital concepts may have come out of the same factory, but they do have different features. I'm making this decision probably this weekend and then I promise not to post anything for a long time. Thanks, Jim

04-29-2011, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Jim,

You're probably sick of my by now .

If you want simple operation, get the Vivitar DF 283 Series 1. The problem of "simple operation" is, well, simple operation. It's p-TTL only. That means it will fire at full power if (1) the camera does not support p-TTL, or (2) the lens is not an "A" lens or newer.

But I'd get one among these, probably the middle one. But maybe because I've been using auto flash for a long long time.

Just found this. If you don't want to spend more than $50, it's the one to get. It has GN of 120 (AF280T: 98), 3 aperture settings (AF280T: 2) and 5 manual ratio settings (AF280T: 2). It doesn't have as many features as the SB24 but it's only 1/3 of the price.

I don't make your life easier, do I?

Last edited by SOldBear; 04-29-2011 at 05:49 PM.
04-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you considered a modifier for the popup flash?
Puffer - Pop-Up Flash Diffuser - Featured Products
LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Soft Screen
04-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mdave13 Quote
Have you considered a modifier for the popup flash?
A modifier for the built-in flash costs from little to nothing (except the one from the guy who plans to become rich by selling flash modifiers - You know who that is ) so you can try it out. But IMHO, it is either doesn't do much, or eats up too much light, or both. Note that in flash bouncing, the distance becomes from the flash to the reflecting surface + from the reflecting surface to the object being photographed. Somewhere along the line, you also lose at least 1 stop of light.

04-29-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah, I got a puffer. It helps, but the pictures still don't look good. If I can't get good pictures with a real flash, then I'll just have to stop taking indoor pics.
04-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
oh, and soldbear, I appreciate everything you've written, even if it doesn't necessarily make anything easier. Jim
04-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm not particularly a fan of Bower, but I have this. Bounce, swivel, auto, manual. $39.99. I'm sure it is sold under other names.

Bower SFD290 Auto Flash SFD290 B&H Photo Video

I had an AF540 that was just too much for the little occasion I use a flash. I've used this hand-held off camera to "paint with light" on buildings, and regular straight shots where it was flash or nothing :-)

04-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were confined to one flash under $100, it would be the AF280T. It provides the best combination of ease of use with durability. The Nikon SB-24 is a better flash but it necessitates setting everything through the digital interface, which is hardly very convenient for grabbing quick indoor pics. With the AF280T, you just set the camera in P mode, select one of the auto flash settings on your camera, and you're ready to go, with a fully automated experience comparable to what you'd get with a p-TTL flash.

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Just found this. If you don't want to spend more than $50, it's the one to get. It has GN of 120 (AF280T: 98), 3 aperture settings (AF280T: 2) and 5 manual ratio settings (AF280T: 2).
That's a great deal if genuine, but I'd check with KEH to make sure there isn't an error somewhere. Sunpak flashes with those specs (such as the Sunpak 383) usually run around $50+ at KEH. I suspect this might be a version of the 433AF that doesn't have any variable manual output). Such versions of this flash exist (which would explain the low price).
04-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

For your price point (under $100 you said...) maybe look at Yongnuo manual flashes... Both the YN-460II and the YN-560 come in budget and for another 20ish bucks (I'm guestimating as I'm British... 1st time I've ever used the word 'Bucks' too!!) you can get some cheap wireless triggers as well!
Getting your flash off-camera will be a dramatic improvement... On camera flash (ok... bouncing may help) will always look harsh as it removes all shadows from the face... Side lite faces look much nicer because of the shadows that can be cast...

In the house if using triggers you don't need lightstands and such as you have bookcases, televisions, shelves etc to place the light on...

Blah blah bla...
Hope helps
Dave
04-30-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hahaha.... You asked for it, Jim.

If you keep asking, you will keep receiving different recommendations. It will keep being more confusing

I think you should just bite the bullet and buy a reasonably-priced flash, and learn its strong points and weak points, and what you really need. Then buy another flash if needed.

I still think the Sunpak 433D for $25 above is the best deal. Of course all bets are off if the description from KEH is incorrect, but they have a good return policy.
04-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
FYI, I think I'm down to the Digital Concepts for $89 with auto and manual controls, the SB-24, and the AF280t. If it's not gone, I can get a 280 for $50 right now and a sb-24 for not much more than that. I'm sure my wife would much rather I go with the $50 flash, especially as I'm going to want to get a wireless trigger too, and I think they go for $30-$40 bucks (hey, I haven't said that in a while my own self!). That way if I went with the Nikon or pentax, even with the trigger it would be less than $100 bucks. The main thing I like about the digital concepts is that it's new, whereas the other two are quite old. I'd certainly not want to buy a 20 year old car, but maybe a flash is different. I considered the yongnuos early on but as they are totally manual, I started to look elsewhere. Thanks for everyones input. Jim
05-01-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
I considered the yongnuos early on but as they are totally manual
The good thing about using a manual flash is that the results will be consistant once you've dialed up an exposure... Honestly the thought of 'manual' is scarier than the application...
Check out Zack Arias (a member here recomended OneLight DVD... and it's brilliant!)
05-01-2011, 05:50 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just checked out the website--$250! For 2 DVDs! I don't have that kind of money. Here I am fretting about buying an $89 flash or a $50 flash . . . I don't think I'll be buying $250 dvd's. Not that I wouldn't love to. I just won't. But thanks for the tip.
05-01-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
Just checked out the website--$250! For 2 DVDs!
Not that I endorse it, but you may find it on a 'torrent'... I of course paid full price...