Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2011, 09:04 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Anyone tried AA batteries in TR P Pack 3

Wondered if I put my eneloop's in AA to C Battery converter will it have enough power. Got lots of AA's, from my Nikon Power Pack days, I'd like to use.
David

05-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The actual power (total voltage) coming from the batteries will be about the same except that the eneloops will run around 1.2v each rather than alkalines which run around 1.5v. Was the power pack designed to run on rechargeables and alkalines or just rechargeables or alkalines?

The only real difference will be the overall capacity (shooting time). The C cells will have a larger capacity which will convert into more run time as compared to the AAs.
05-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
It's designed to run on alkaline and states not Ni Cd but I have read somewhere, on this site, it works with Ni mh. Will give it a go when I get the battery converters. I know it won't run as long but will be much lighter, and I have lots of eneloop AA's as I ran 2 Nikon speedlights with 4 batteries in each and 2 power packs with 8 batteries in each.
With Nikon you had to have the same type of battery in the gun as in the pack. With Pentax this obviously isn't the case.
05-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi,
I came across this thread (hope the link works) AF540FGZ -- External Power? [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Seems to indicate that Nimh are OK.

05-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Update after quick test
With enloop AA batteries in the converters it recycles as fast as C batteries. Not accurately measured just counted between recharges.
Obviously will get less flashes but weight difference is significant, and rechargeable's now have work to do.
05-11-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It always feels good when you can recycle something to do something else successfully. Especially when you originally paid good money for the item.