Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Yongnuo YF-560 Flash - a strobist review of it

http://speedlights.net/2010/07/14/yongnuo-yn-560-speedlite-review/

My first flash was a Metz 48. and it works well for pttl on the hotshoe, or on a cord i suppose. but remotely on my Cactus v5 triggers, i can only use it iin manual, i also borrowed my brother's Metz48 but i need to give it back - thats the rub.

While searching for a replacement, i tripped across these yongnuo flashes and they look pretty good. List price is only $75 - whats not too like Slightly more powerful with a GN level just below 39, my metz 48 is only 33. Both my Metz and the yongnuo have manual levels down to 1/128th, which i'm finding very desirable for some strobist work.

The yongnuo only work in manual mode, but thats where Pentax remote flashes are anyway. I'm ordering one today.

05-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have two of these: the build quality is very decent, output can be adjusted to 1/128th (7 stops) with fractional stop steps, it has tilt&swivel, zoom and the control interface is straightforward enough. Also, cycle time seems quite fast (with Eneloops), especially with reduced output . A solid offering for the price .

Last edited by jolepp; 05-09-2011 at 01:25 AM. Reason: fixed a misfigure
05-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I recently bought one, and I love it. I just hope it won't die too soon, since I made the mistake of purchasing it from an ebay US dealer which offers only 3 moths of warranty. (Squaretrade doesn't cover it either.) The manufacturer offers a 1 year warranty only if you get it from their store in China.
05-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've got five of these YN-560 flashes, which I use for off-camera work, and they're great and easy to use. One of them did stop working after a few weeks, but I sent it back to the seller (eBay), who sent me a replacement.

I've also got two Pentax AF-540FGZ flashes for on-camera use due to their pTTL ability, especially when I'm shooting events, but when it comes to off-camera flash, I choose the YN-560 over the AF-540FGZ every time.

05-01-2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I've got five of these YN-560 flashes
How often do you use all 5? When you do are they often doubled up or in totally different positions?

I have a YN-560 too... Got a lovely shot of my sister's two boys (4 & 1) over the weekend... Boys on sofa... flash to their left on top of 4.5foot mantell-piece above the fire at my mam's... Clean and dry white dishcloth held over flashhead with velcro strip...
05-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've got five of these YN-560 flashes, which I use for off-camera work, and they're great and easy to use. One of them did stop working after a few weeks, but I sent it back to the seller (eBay), who sent me a replacement.

I've also got two Pentax AF-540FGZ flashes for on-camera use due to their pTTL ability, especially when I'm shooting events, but when it comes to off-camera flash, I choose the YN-560 over the AF-540FGZ every time.
Thanks for the input from jolepp, causey and Dave also. Just ordered my first one today from Amazon. It looks from the review that the flash will be easier to learn and operate than my Metz 48 is, where you often have to push 2 buttons at a time. On this link (part of the other link), tests show that the GN in meters is 34 for the Yongnuo 560, 33 for the Metz and 32 for the Vivitar.
YN-560 Specifications and Test Results | Speedlights.net
05-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It looks from the review that the flash will be easier to learn and operate than my Metz 48 is, where you often have to push 2 buttons at a time
Yep... Very easy...
Left & Right = Power-up & Power-down
Up & Down = little power adjustments
Zoom has its own '+' & '-' keys
Mode button toggle between the 3 modes
On/Off button.... Beep button (nice)
Pilot button (lit)... Bit of a faff to press tbh...

05-02-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
How often do you use all 5? When you do are they often doubled up or in totally different positions?
Not very often at all, but I do like having some redundancy/spares. Most of the time for what I shoot, two/three is usually enough.

Of course, then again, sometimes, five isn't enough; I recall doing a job a few months ago with a friend, and we had a lighting setup with about seven flashes (mine + his Nikon SBs); if I remember correctly, we had 4 for the background, 1 key, 1 fill, and 1 for separation.
05-02-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm going to buy one of these YN-560's today Any recommendations for a source? I want something within the USA that has decent support. Or should I just order it along with my Cactus V5 from Infinity Gadget?--wherever they may be..
05-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey adpo, what do you mean on your review of the YN-560? :

"edit: only real downside is that there is no way (as far as i can tell) to get the K-x to shoot high speed sync with it "

I have a K-X and I thought these two flashes would work fine. I am going to trigger them with cactus V5 transceivers. And I am going to get some other flash to sit on top of the cactus v5 transmitter on my K-X.. some TTL flash that I can use in TTL mode when not on the cactus v5--I understand it would be a manual flash atop the cactus v5.
05-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Hey adpo, what do you mean on your review of the YN-560? :

"edit: only real downside is that there is no way (as far as i can tell) to get the K-x to shoot high speed sync with it "

I have a K-X and I thought these two flashes would work fine. I am going to trigger them with cactus V5 transceivers. And I am going to get some other flash to sit on top of the cactus v5 transmitter on my K-X.. some TTL flash that I can use in TTL mode when not on the cactus v5--I understand it would be a manual flash atop the cactus v5.
You won't be able to sync any faster than 1/180th with the YN-560 and the K-x, or any current Pentax dSLR. This a limitation of the Pentax camera/flash system, and if I'm not wrong, choosing a shutter speed of faster than 1/180th on a Pentax body disables the hotshoe and PC sync port.

Of course, you can take photos at shutter speeds faster than 1/180th, using a Pentax pTTL flash that has HSS (High Speed Sync) but the way it does so is slightly different, and the flash doesn't just fire, what actually happens is it files a number of times. Here's a link of how high speed sync works: http://cameradojo.com/2010/05/31/mastering-your-flash-101-high-speed-sync/
05-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I imagine I'll do fine without high speed sync. I'm not going to have someone jump in mid air indoors. I just want to be able to do portraits, stills, etc.. Besides doesn't the flash of light itself freeze time despite the shutter speed? (sorry i am so amateur lol)
05-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You won't be able to sync any faster than 1/180th with the YN-560 and the K-x, or any current Pentax dSLR. This a limitation of the Pentax camera/flash system, and if I'm not wrong, choosing a shutter speed of faster than 1/180th on a Pentax body disables the hotshoe and PC sync port.
i hate this.
05-02-2011, 07:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hello Pentax Corp., time for a firmware update?
05-02-2011, 08:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Hello Pentax Corp., time for a firmware update?
I think I read somewhere that it was actually a hardware decision on Pentax's part...