Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you could only have one TTL flash..

Hi there. If you could only have one TTL flash--$150 or less--to sit on top of your Pentax camera, which one would you pick?

I want a TTL flash for capturing events. I want something reliable, consistent and flexible. I am going to order 2 x YN-560's for off the camera; manual flashes are fine for that.

It would be nice if the TTL flash that I'd be getting, would function decently as a manual flash to go along with the YN-560's, for studio work.

I am getting some decent captures with the pop up flash using a custom bounce card I made, but I imagine having a larger TTL flash atop the camera would be better.

05-02-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you look really hard you can find the Sigma EF-530 DG ST for around $150. 47st Photo might have some. The EF-610 DG ST is less than $170.

The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison
05-02-2011, 07:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'd want a P-TTL that'll work wirelessly so I could hand-hold it to the side occasionally for macros as well as portraits. I think that argues for the super sigma given today's market.

I guess my suggestion is for you to rethink your "on-camera" specification as less expensive flashes like the Rokinon 980 will satisfy your needs as given.

I have a $100 Rokinon 980 and a wire; it works flawlessly in P-TTL on & off camera; I'd gladly give it and $60 for a flash that'll work in wireless P-TTL mode.