Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2011, 06:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommendation for Umbrella Kit please

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I need two or three different 33" (or so) umbrellas: white with white back, silver with black back (and gold with black back?). Also need an umbrella holder and a couple light stands.

Since I'm a beginner, I'd like to keep this as affordable as possible, without buying absolute junk either.

I am going to make my own softbox and beauty dish.

Thanks!

05-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't use reflective umbrellas - almost exclusively shoot-through - but I picked up a pair of ~30+" white shoot-thru's from Amazon for $10 (for the pair). Cowboy studio. I've got some big Wescotts, but I'm putting together a "location kit". I also picked up the Cowboy Studio umbrella holders that also has a shoe clamp on it, and matched 'em with some Bogen (Manfrotto) lightstands I still have laying around. With a pair of vivitar 283s and a radio trigger, the system works very well, and was *very* inexpensive. Brackets were ~12 each, the umbrellas ~$5 each.
05-04-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

The Amazon price seems quite fair. I have an umbrella being shipped from dealExtreme, all of 4,60$, apparently just as good (probably identical) to Wescott.
05-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Here is the kit I put together last year for flash based umbrellas.

2X - 43" Umbrella Softbox $40 on ebay This provides the same diffused light as a shoot through umbrella with less light loss. These are fairly flimsy but work well indoors.

2X - 7.5' Light Stands $43 on ebay Very sturdy but I've only used them indoors

Umbrella Bracket 16.25 each @ Adorama The product reviews are accurate and I'm happy with my purchase.

After I received my "kit", I didn't like the way the umbrella interacted with my flash unit. My DIY solution can be found HERE.

Good luck.

Tim

05-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Here is the kit I put together last year for flash based umbrellas.

2X - 43" Umbrella Softbox $40 on ebay This provides the same diffused light as a shoot through umbrella with less light loss. These are fairly flimsy but work well indoors.

2X - 7.5' Light Stands $43 on ebay Very sturdy but I've only used them indoors

Umbrella Bracket 16.25 each @ Adorama The product reviews are accurate and I'm happy with my purchase.

After I received my "kit", I didn't like the way the umbrella interacted with my flash unit. My DIY solution can be found HERE.

Good luck.

Tim
was thinking of picking up 2 light stands, this seems like reasonable price ... cheapest I've seen so far.
05-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Since I'm a beginner, I'd like to keep this as affordable as possible, without buying absolute junk either.
Umbrellas are cheap, there is no point in buying expensive ones unless you are getting something really special like an Alien Bees PLM.

When they fall apart or get too bent to repair, just get a new one.
05-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I started out with the equivalents of these 3 years ago and they are still serving me very well today.
  1. Westcott 32" Optical White Umbrella with Removable Black Cover $24
  2. LumoPro LP633 Umbrella Swivel w/ Flash Shoe Adapter $18
  3. Interfit 8.5 ft Air Cushioned Light Stand $30

05-04-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
There is something to be said for buying quality; I have two Wescotts that I bought in 1988 that still serve me well today, and are built orders of magnitude better than the $5 cowboy studio ones I bought for location work with my 283s.
05-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Umbrellas are cheap, there is no point in buying expensive ones unless you are getting something really special like an Alien Bees PLM.

When they fall apart or get too bent to repair, just get a new one.
Really? Alien Bees is "something special" now? (Just curious is all; they didn't exist - to my knowledge - when I was shooting professionally, and White Lightning was all the low-cost rage). My first exposure to AB was a friend's wife getting a cheap "studio kit" with three bright yellow 180 w/s monolights, umbrellas, and stands, for next to nothing. Their actual light output was probably on par with one of my 200 w/s fill lights on half power. (I got lucky in the '80s and picked up a full set of Multiblitz monolights for a song; still haven 'em, still working fine, still love 'em. ) Is that the same Alien Bees?
05-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
Really? Alien Bees is "something special" now? (Just curious is all; they didn't exist - to my knowledge - when I was shooting professionally, and White Lightning was all the low-cost rage). My first exposure to AB was a friend's wife getting a cheap "studio kit" with three bright yellow 180 w/s monolights, umbrellas, and stands, for next to nothing. Their actual light output was probably on par with one of my 200 w/s fill lights on half power. (I got lucky in the '80s and picked up a full set of Multiblitz monolights for a song; still haven 'em, still working fine, still love 'em. ) Is that the same Alien Bees?
Obviously you missed the PLM part of my post. A parabolic umbrella is not the same as a normal umbrella.

I was referring to umbrella options that are not your standard umbrellas. The question was about umbrellas, not your feelings about AB flashes.
05-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Obviously you missed the PLM part of my post. A parabolic umbrella is not the same as a normal umbrella.

I was referring to umbrella options that are not your standard umbrellas. The question was about umbrellas, not your feelings about AB flashes.
LOL! I wasn't attacking your assertions, honest. I was just surprised. Looks like AB has come up in the world, and the PLM does look interesting enough. No offense intended.
05-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
LOL! I wasn't attacking your assertions, honest. I was just surprised. Looks like AB has come up in the world, and the PLM does look interesting enough. No offense intended.
I have to apologize as well. Long day at work and I was a bit punchy.

From some of the review/test shots I've seen it's a pretty unique modifier.
05-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
You could considered even the:
LumoPro
or the
Manfrotto
for obtain a good swivel umbrella adapter and a good light stands.
05-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

this is what I've got.

2X shoot through 33" umbrellas (10 bucks shipped ebay)
2X umbrella holder (10 bucks shipped ebay)
2X 7.1ft light stand + 2 X 2.4ft light stand (55 bucks shipped ebay)
2X mini softbox for the flashes (6 bucks shipped)

so totaled around 80 bucks, and I've got enough for regular shooting + macro shooting setup (the 2 smaller light stand). Some of the stuff have come, waiting for the other to arrive lol. it's the problem buying from china/hongkong.
05-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Giottos stand (on sale £35 local store)
Manfrotto tite-lite umbrella holder (£13 new ebay)
Westcott 43" convertable umbrella (£12 bid new ebay)
Mini softbox (came free with the 285hv... doesn't really count...)
2.6m by 3m studio background support + 3m by 6m white muslin backdrop (Amazon £80 awaiting delivery)
3xhomemade snoots (black card and velcro)

Also using a £8 crappy ebay tripod as a second flashstand LOL