Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2011, 03:48 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Questions about this "ring flash" I got

Just picked up this "Promaster MacroLume TTL" "ring" flash that mounts on your lens with Cokin filter attachment. I see they went for like $300 new back in 2004. I picked it up for $10 from a photography student.. guessing it must not be so good lol.

What's interesting is, the TTL pins on the base of the flash match exactly to the pentax pins.. at least i think they do.. they look like they would. Although the module on the flash is the NK module (guessing that would be nikon). Was there a standard at some point on TTL flashes? Or is this one made for pentax? I can't seem to get it to work in TTL mode though lol..

Anyways if anyone has any info about this macro flash, I'd appreciate it. I need to google and try and fine an operater's manual for this.

Hope I didn't waste $10.

Attached Images

05-06-2011, 05:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

TTL isn't supported beyond the ist DS2, so unless I'm mistaken, you'd have to use the flash manually.
05-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

TTL used reflected light from the film plane to quench output from the flash when enough light has been provided. As Adam says, Pentax hasn't used TTL since the ist days.

P-TTL is the modern equivalent. A pre-flash is fired to calculate how much flash is necessary for correct exposure, shortly thereafter the exposure is taken with the calculated flash amount.

I don't know for sure if Nikon and Pentax used the same pin arrangement for TTL. But I have Nikon and Pentax bodies, and to my eye the Nikon rear pins are slightly further out. And the quench pin might well be positioned on different locations.

I doubt this flash would work in auto mode on a Pentax TTL camera, and certainly not on a P-TTL only modern digital camera.
05-06-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
Was there a standard at some point on TTL flashes?
No, not between different brands. A Nikon TTL flash won't work on a Pentax TTL-capable body, regardless of whether the flash pins match (which they don't). Unless this ring flash has variable output or autoflash, I doubt it's of much use on a Pentax DSLR.

05-06-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

What sort of manual controls are provided on the flash? If nothing else you may be able to resell it to a Nikon shooter if the current i-TTL standard is still compatible.
05-06-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax pins & Nikon pins are slightly different in physical arrangement, as Aegon noted, the Nikon 2 rear pins are further out than the Pentax ones.

In the photo you provided it looks like that is a small opening on the front of the flash, could that be a photocell for automatic mode? Can you see any controls for that on the back of the flash?

Looks like a nice unit, you got lucky to get that for $10. As Steinback mentioned, a Nikon shooter might be interested. I'm a Nikon as well as Pentax shooter.
05-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
The Pentax pins & Nikon pins are slightly different in physical arrangement, as Aegon noted, the Nikon 2 rear pins are further out than the Pentax ones.

In the photo you provided it looks like that is a small opening on the front of the flash, could that be a photocell for automatic mode? Can you see any controls for that on the back of the flash?

Looks like a nice unit, you got lucky to get that for $10. As Steinback mentioned, a Nikon shooter might be interested. I'm a Nikon as well as Pentax shooter.
Yeah it's a light sensor on the front of the unit. I set the unit to "Auto" and it adjusts the flash based on the light input it gets. If I put my finger in front of the sensor and snap a pic, it discharges the entire flash and takes a long time to recharge the flash. If I don't put my finger in front of the sensor it recharges in like a sec. Here is a pic of the back:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
05-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just did some tests. Took a pic in the bright kitchen, semi-bright living room, dim room and very dark unlit bathroom.. I didn't change a setting on my camera or flash, and it exposed everything properly. So the light sensor in the promaster macrolume must be fairly decent.

Aperture: 4
ISO: 400
Shutter: 1/125
Flash set to blue auto mode (lowest). It has three Auto brightness settings: yellow is medium and green is brightest.
Both flashes set to fully diffused (there is a dial that lets you partially or fully diffuse).

Last edited by geekette; 05-06-2011 at 05:35 PM.
05-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That's great. You're in business for some macro photography.

Darn, you don't need to sell it now to a Pentax & Nikon user.
05-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
lol i might do better with a pringles can for macro photography lighting:

Super Easy Macro Lighting Using a Pringles Can | DIYPhotography.net

Oh, this is very nice too:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steveblackdog/5689222223/

Last edited by geekette; 05-06-2011 at 06:32 PM.
05-06-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

What a great idea!

Oh & off topic, thanks to the instructions you provided me for wraps, I also made a simple case for a GPS unit along with a total of 3 wraps for lenses so far.
05-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very cool I've sewn a carrying bag for my set of PVC pipe lengths for my DIY lightbox: 8 x six inch, 8 x one foot and 8 x 2 foot lengths along with the couplers. The bag is like 2 feet long and 5 inches diameter. These 24 pipe lengths allow me to make a DIY lightbox in any dimensions between 6 x 6 inches to 3.5 foot x 3.5 foot Also made a bag for the set of white semi transparent covers which velcro on. I am using the $1 table covers from dollar tree (as suggested by someone else here in this forum). Altogether I spent like $14 on this versatile kit I recommend getting the pvc pipe cutting tool if you do this diy--It makes clean and accurate cuts. It cost me $14 but will last a lifetime. I see myself cutting more pvc in the near future !
05-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think we need a section on this website to cover 'DIY' projects as invented by different users.

I will have a look at your lightbox thread. I have a commercial one but sometimes home made just fills the perfect need.
05-06-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't made a thread for the DIY lightbox yet, but I should as mine is unique in a couple ways: multi-dimensional, portable & set of fitted covers that fit tight since they are velcro'd onto the pvc feet and upper corners.

I'm also going to be sewing my own 3 x 3 foot DIY softbox, using some black material I have laying around and some tent type sticks (plastic).. i have to buy the sticks. I saw how the softbox was constructed at the photogrpahy store, and I can definitely sew that easily Going to use some sort of fabric for the inside with reflective properties.
05-06-2011, 08:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Ahh, it was the photos from your lightbox that I was thinking of. I'd noticed the thread in passing but hadn't got round to reading it yet.

If you could document your lightbox sometime, that would be much appreciated.