Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #1

Flash for K20D

Hi all,
I need to know whether I can use a universal hot-shoe flash with my K20D?

and if I get a Nikon or Canon flash (with dedicated hot-shoe for theirs), can I use them via x-sync socket of K20D?

05-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes - as long as its trigger voltage is not above about 10Volts (?? forget the specific value)
This means older flashes such as Vivitar 285's (there is a whole heap of variants - SOME are safe - most older ones are not) or Achiever TZ250's etc can be dangerous - via the hot shoe OR PC-Sync ports - unless you use a 'safe' cable or shoe adapter that will ensure the trigger voltage is made safe.

Nikon dedicated hotshoes work, as should the canon - as long as its not relying on any sort of *TTL connectivity in order to fire... They also will all operate in just plain old 'manual' mode - i.e, you will manually have to adjust flash settings.

A list of possible flashes and various recorded trigger voltages can be found at http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html ...
05-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I started a thread recently on the Yongnuo 560 flash. They can be universally used on Nikon, Canon, Pentax. I posted a review of them.

http://speedlights.net/2011/03/08/yongnuo-yn-565-discovered/
The list price is only $75 and i found mine for $61 on Amazon. Its due in today. Has partial power down to 1/128 and its full power is slightly greater than Metz 48 and Vivitar. Can only be operated in Manual, which is fine with me but YMMV. I use my manual flashes usually remotely with the Cactus V5's radio triggers.

Also the predecessor of the 560 is the 460 which is selling for about $50. not sure about its specs.

Strobist stuff is a lot of fun.
05-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I started a thread recently on the Yongnuo 560 flash. They can be universally used on Nikon, Canon, Pentax. I posted a review of them.
[snip]
Strobist stuff is a lot of fun.
Yes, the 560 is great. I've got two of them. Be aware the specs on the rating is a little generous - its actually a couple of GN lower than claimed at the top end.... But its fantastic for the price. Also there is a few issues with batches this year that had 'sticky' screwdrives on the zoom - its an easy fix though....

460's lack Zoom and are a little lighter on the power as well... and only go down to 1/64

And yes - 'strobist' stuff is fun - and highly addictive. Its amazing what a little *controlled* light can do to an image....

05-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 560 does look good for off camera. I'm hoping to get one soon. But if somebody wants a flash to use on-camera in the hot shoe, I would definitely get one that has a head that can tilt and swivel, and can either be used in P-TTL or at least Auto mode. The 560 is manual only.
05-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jake14mw Quote
The 560 is manual only
Yep... but the more I use it the easier it gets to find good exposure... I generally only need to fire off 1 test shot now as I can almost tell what power level I'm going to need for the aperture I've chosen for the shot... Quite often my test shot becomes the shot I keep...