Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
well executed Deiberson, and a good example of the use of Gels. Though I think you could have gotten away with a Full CTO - the skin tones look too cold to my eyes.

when doing this sort of thing many strobists actually go for a full CTO+1/2 for some extra punch.

05-20-2011, 02:11 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know. It was literally a 10 second thing using what I had laying around the classroom. I only wanted to show the OP how a color correction gel could neutralize the scene without actually adding color. I really should have taken a pull back shot to show the scene. It would have been a keeper since there where three giddy 2nd grade girls holding speed lights around the subject as it started to rain.
05-20-2011, 04:08 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another interesting addition to my honl flash system is that I have recently bought a 1/8 Speed grid - many strobist photographers prefer snoots over grids and vice versa...but I have always used grids especially for background lighting. Zooming to 58mm on my AF540FGZ doesn't do the trick, the light is still too broad - but with the grid the light is channelled into a pool of light that feathers smoothly off at the edges - snoots tend to have a much harder cut off at the edges.

On the left: AF540FGZ @58mm without a grid. On the right: AF540FGZ @58mm with the 1/8 speed grid - the flash was two feet away from the wall

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-28-2015 at 12:36 AM.
05-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Some sort of barn doors will also work and would not be as hard as the snoots

05-21-2011, 07:07 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
barn doors will also work and would not be as hard as the snoots
actually they are the same the only difference is that barn doors project a square pool of light, but it still has the hard edges.
05-22-2011, 12:37 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's very windy and rainy outside, not much chance for anything good photographically. My pet cat snoozing on my bed gave me an opportunity to mess around with the speed grid I bought.

A good example of the quality of light the speed grid makes - I also used a rust colour gel to lower the colour temp of my flash to 2000K , the blue light is available light coming from the overcast sky outside.

Pentax K-7 FA31mm f/1.8 Limited ISO 100 f/4 @ 1/40th AF540FGZ set to 58mm+gel and grid used.

05-22-2011, 02:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honl system

I actually had the opportunity to do a workshop with David Honl last year. It was an opportunity too good to be missed. He is a nice bloke and very humble about his achievements as a photo-journalist and the system he has invented. Here are a couple of examples of gelled strobes from the workshop.

In the first series, you can see the outdoor setup, then the CTO gelled 'cold blue' effect, then the normal exposure.

2nd series shows David setting up a portrait shot with a cloth background. First shot is with no light on the background, then the effect of different coloured gels.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
Attached Images
File Type: psd _IGP1218.psd (1.40 MB, 202 views)
File Type: psd _IGP1222.psd (2.10 MB, 162 views)
05-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Another interesting addition to my honl flash system is that I have recently bought a 1/8 Speed grid - many strobist photographers prefer snoots over grids and vice versa...but I have always used grids especially for background lighting. Zooming to 58mm on my AF540FGZ doesn't do the trick, the light is still too broad - but with the grid the light is channelled into a pool of light that feathers smoothly off at the edges - snoots tend to have a much harder cut off at the edges.

On the left: AF540FGZ @58mm without a grid. On the right: AF540FGZ @58mm with the 1/8 speed grid - the flash was two feet away from the wall
I did the following test shoot of my car in the garage. I wanted to use a snoot like device and used a "triscuit" cardboard box as shown in the first picture. Sure enough i got the hard light edge across the hood of the car. So i cut the corners of one side of the box and rolled the edge back. Then with the box vertical i got the nicer graduated edge to the hood illumination in the second photo. On my lap to highlight my face is the 1/8" Honl grid.

Much appreciation for this thread and photos, very educational - digitalis, Deiberson, and wizofoz especially.

a

05-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #24
Veteran Member

The cardboard works fine. Here's one that I took of my wife while she was pregnant using the same cereal box idea. I also threw a light behind the blind onto the wall for something different
05-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
The cardboard works fine. Here's one that I took of my wife while she was pregnant using the same cereal box idea. I also threw a light behind the blind onto the wall for something different
Very nicely done and staged, perhaps you used a gel there to enhance the blue, can't tell.

Light has that duality of having properties of being like both waves and particles. I think i'll do some more testing to figure out what kind of exit conditions produce what kinds of light projection, e.g. using flaps on the end to close down the exit does what, i.e. snoot like, grid like, or something else. its fun to know that our standard fare external flashes can be used in such different creative ways. These gels have opened yet another layer of possibilities that i hadn't even guessed before.
05-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

No gel. I couldn't find it so I moved the white balance over to make it blue. Here's another one without gel. The first is standard w-b, and for the 2nd one I slid the temperature over a bit. Same shot, same set up. Its worth noting that these were done with a 50 dollar Yongugo flash. Not bad for the price.

05-23-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the last image you posted is the one that works the best deiberson
05-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
No gel. I couldn't find it so I moved the white balance over to make it blue. Here's another one without gel. The first is standard w-b, and for the 2nd one I slid the temperature over a bit. Same shot, same set up. Its worth noting that these were done with a 50 dollar Yongugo flash. Not bad for the price.

I also think the first BW is terrific (and better than the second). the figure is centered better, BW, and arm all work better, i think.
05-24-2011, 03:52 AM   #29
Veteran Member

That's not BW. Look at her hair. Just a silhouette. Either way.....its off topic since there wasn't a gel. Sorry for the tangent.
05-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having some fun with my Honl Gel + 1/8th Speed grid.