Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My first water drops pic! :)

So with everything I've learned from here and other web sites, I was able to easily--within a minute or two--get my first water droplets pics.

I slid my Vivitar 283--with DIY variable power control--into a Cactus V5 and set it to receive; then put it in the Cactus V included stand, on the drain board, pointing at the water faucet about 15 inches away to the left. Put another Cactus V5 on my K-X and set my camera to manual mode. I set shutter speed to the max: 1/160; then I set the aperture to f8.0--to reduce ambient light a bit. I took a few pics and at first it was overexposed so I dialed the flash power down a bit each exposure until it was right. It was set pretty low to at least give me a flash duration of around 1/10,000 of a second. I set the faucet so it would drip--dripping around 1 drop per second. I went with the rhythm of the drops and started snapping--snap snap snap.

Anyways below is a pic of one of them. Several turned out very cool but I liked this one cause of the big drop at the bottom of the pic. I had another one that had a star of light reflect off of it but it was a tiny drop.

I love how you can freeze time with a flash and this is the first time I've done it! I am really happy with my recent investments. Also, thanks so much y'all for answering all my questions!

Looking forward to learning more about photography!

Attached Images

05-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
And that is a great first shot indeed!
Looking forward to seeing more.
05-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #3

very nice.

feel free to post more pics. =)
05-17-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks better in black and white:

Attached Images

05-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It actually looks a lot better on flickr: My First Water Drops Photograph! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
05-18-2011, 01:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

cool!
05-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #7

Really cool shot. Well done. The lower most droplet is crying out for a crop IMHO. Love the reflection of the room

05-18-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is another one I took at the same time. I like the star of light on the second to bottom droplet--it's the only capture of the 10 or so I took that had a star of light.

Looks better on flickr: Another one of my first water drops photos. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Attached Images

05-18-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Very nice!
06-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
G,

Don't take this wrong way, but I thought your other comments about photos looking better on flicker than on here were a bit...off...crazy-talk. But I have to admit that, after comparing your photos here and the same photo on flicker, you are correct/right (something every woman loves to here, I'm sure). I wonder why that is? About the photo I mean, not the sexist remark about women always needing to be right. I know why THAT is.
06-14-2011, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
G,

Don't take this wrong way, but I thought your other comments about photos looking better on flicker than on here were a bit...off...crazy-talk. But I have to admit that, after comparing your photos here and the same photo on flicker, you are correct/right (something every woman loves to here, I'm sure). I wonder why that is? About the photo I mean, not the sexist remark about women always needing to be right. I know why THAT is.
Well when you upload a large multi-megabyte file it needs to scale it down in size and compress it for storage here. I am assuming the conversion tools flickr uses are better than the one that comes with the forum software. Makes sense since their site is all about photos. I do notice--at least on my mac os x system using firefox--that if you right click on a picture from this forum and click "view image" it actually looks better than inline. I think this software stretches the image slightly or something.
06-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

wow now I have to chase some drops great pic

cheers
06-20-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Very nice indeed.
06-20-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks good! I love the starburst off the waterdrop, it's nice when you can get them, they sure don't happen that often! If you are enjoying water drop shooting its pretty easy to setup to do the splash shots as well. I haven't done them in a month or so, but that just means I'm due for another evening of water fun.

Water Drops and Macro fun! - a set on Flickr
06-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, I like your camera it's very... pink, must be hard to misplace! I think if I got my wife a K-x or K-r that was pink or white I might get the K-5 all to myself! Now just being able to afford to implement that master plan...