Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
when i bounce to ceiling, the pic looks unplesant.

here is the pic. the uppart looks no good. is that because the ceiling is so low? I just flash straight upward, bounce to ceiling. bare flash, no any diffuser kind thing attached.
Anyway not only this pic. I shoot a lot indoor event. In club, resturant, party kind of places. I find many of my photo the uppart is too bright or has nasty reflection. I point my flash head staight up all the time.
Help!! How to improve my flash skill. First I think must buy some diffuser kind thing? Right? second, is that always bounce to ceiling when indoor? but if flash directly to the subject, it would be worse..so I guess no other option??

Last edited by liukaitc; 05-18-2011 at 06:59 AM.
05-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The top of the subject is closer to the flash off the ceiling, so it is brighter. That is normal. You will need to change your flash set up so you are not lighting vertical subjects from the top. That means a an umbrella or other cumbersome portable reflector :-)
05-18-2011, 07:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds complex. damn really a lot to learn about flash skill and set up.
05-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect your flash isn't all the way up pointing to the ceiling. The shadow of the top of the bottle shows that the flash head isn't pointing up, but forward, probably at 60 degrees or so.

05-18-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I suspect your flash isn't all the way up pointing to the ceiling. The shadow of the top of the bottle shows that the flash head isn't pointing up, but forward, probably at 60 degrees or so.
You also see a shadow to the right of the bottle.
05-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can not remember. maybe accidently. ha..
05-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
what about this one. i still feel the part on the bottle is kind unpleasant. or maybe that the way it is by using flash. what you pro think?

Last edited by liukaitc; 05-18-2011 at 07:46 AM.
05-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Instead of bouncing off the ceiling, why not try a bounce card?

05-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Instead of bouncing off the ceiling, why not try a bounce card?
Thanks for you suggestion. I will look into it. as you can see I do not know much about flash skill. that why I appericate any help you guys give. I really do need shoot a lot indoor. I need prepare the best.
05-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting with flash can be tricky and just bouncing or adding a diffuser won't cover every shot you will need extra light for. Pick up Joe McNally's excellent book "The Hot Shoe Diaries" to learn just about everything you ever need to know about using flashes. He's a Nikon guy but 99% of the book is about reading the light where you are and using your flash gear to make it work.
05-18-2011, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Take it off camera and fire it with cheap radio triggers or with the slave mode and the popup flash (if you only want fill light tone it down to the minimum..).
Off camera lighting is not so complexe and it'll let you control how the light will be flashed to your subject.
If you want to try some modifier don't buy those expensive plastic "diffusers" of fleebay..they just make you lose two stops of light and won't give you soft quality light (since that is related to the size of the source of light)...if you wanna try something like those just get yourself cheap chinese-food and put you flash inside through a home made hole

If you want beautifull soft light you will need an umbrella or a big enough soft box.
05-18-2011, 08:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, actually I just bought a 540fgz and a yn560. I used a cheap 280t previously.
a lot to learn.
05-18-2011, 09:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Instead of bouncing straight up, try bouncing a little to the side too. Also, the harsh shadow may come from leaking light, so consider using a grid or flag to prevent direct light from falling in your subject.

Sent from my EVO 4G with MIUI
05-18-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Pentaxian

on-camera lighting will never give great results in all situations. Diffused is generally better than direct. Larger diffusion surface is usually better than smaller. White ceilings or walls work in some circumstances. On flash bounce card or translucent diffuser is better in some circumstances, and is consistent. Two flashes allow main and fill light. It depends on what is practical in the situation. A lighting crew following you around is nice.
05-18-2011, 09:45 AM   #15
Veteran Member

You might want to try putting a gobo on the front of the flash so there is no direct spill onto the subject. Basically, put some velcro on your flash head and cut out a piece of black foam. Stick the other end of the velcro onto the foam so it attaches to your flash. Now completely block the front of your flash so the subject cannot see it. Essentially, this will ensure that the small light bounces off the ceiling without spilling forward. The indirect light will land softly on your subject.