Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Sunpak are nice but I recommend the Nikon SB-2X (24,25,26,28) series. They are a little bit more expensive than the Sunpak but they are excellent and do have zoom.
The nikons also have finer power control and the later ones can go down to 1/64th power. They also have stroboscopic mode if that's important. The 433d only has full stop control down to 1/16. The sunpaks are much lighter though and my SB-28 cost ~$100 while a sunpak 433d can be had for $20-25 if you're patient on ebay. I use both about equally, with the sunpaks being the flash of choice for sketchy conditions (like dangling over swamps or out in the rain).

01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
The nikons also have finer power control and the later ones can go down to 1/64th power. They also have stroboscopic mode if that's important. The 433d only has full stop control down to 1/16. The sunpaks are much lighter though and my SB-28 cost ~$100 while a sunpak 433d can be had for $20-25 if you're patient on ebay. I use both about equally, with the sunpaks being the flash of choice for sketchy conditions (like dangling over swamps or out in the rain).
i picked up the 433d with Pentax module for $21 shipped!
01-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm a fan of the 4xx series of Sunpaks. I have three 422Ds, which is identical to your 433D, just a little lower output. (Still plenty of power at GN100, though.) They're built well, versatile, and you can't beat the price! I think you'll be happy with it. :-)
01-09-2013, 09:18 AM   #19

I have two Sunpak 433Ds, both for Minolta (one is for TTL). I've had no problems with them on my K10D. I also have a Minolta 360PX which has similar features and GN. The plus of the Minolta flash is that it has more incremental manual power steps than the Sunpaks. The plus with the Sunpak is that the head swivels 330 degrees so I can actually point it backwards. This means I can bounce flash off the ceiling while pointing the lens downwards.

The 422D has interchangeable foot modules for different camera dedication. The Pentax modules will still set flash sync speed when powered up even if TTL is not supported.

01-09-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
No need to make one. For tele I think the 433D can use this: TELE-FIL KIT TL-8 (it fits 444D).
Yes, this is right. I have two TL-8s and I use one on a 444D and the other on a 433D.
01-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Yes, this is right. I have two TL-8s and I use one on a 444D and the other on a 433D.
I just placed an order here

TL-8 TELE-FIL KIT F/444D

It said in stock when I placed the order and now it says it is not in stock. I am hoping I just got the last one they had for 1 cent!!!!!
01-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #22

So i got the flash and it tested at 7.14volts, is that OK to use on my K20D?

01-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joekelli Quote
So i got the flash and it tested at 7.14volts, is that OK to use on my K20D?
If you ask me, the answer is "yes."

From my earlier post:

... trigger voltage can not exceed 20V. I pick "20V" because that's the number from Ricoh, the only camera manufacturer ever putting trigger voltage limit in a manual.
01-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Poking my head in here for a minute...

These 422D and 433D flashes look like just the thing for me. I am looking for a couple flashes to use off camera only with radio triggers (Cactus v5).

While looking at some of the listings on ebay, I see an adapter mentioned a couple times - one says it is missing the adapter. I did some searching on Google about this adapter and didn't find anything that helped me.

So my question is - looking at a 433D - if I am going to use this flash exclusively with my radio triggers, should I be concerned about this adapter at all?

Thanks
01-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
These 422D and 433D flashes look like just the thing for me. I am looking for a couple flashes to use off camera only with radio triggers (Cactus v5).
For practical purposes, these models are the same: 422D, 433D, 444D, 30DX, 36DX, Super 383. IMHO, they are the most underrated flash units.

While looking at some of the listings on ebay, I see an adapter mentioned a couple times - one says it is missing the adapter. I did some searching on Google about this adapter and didn't find anything that helped me.
I think by "adapter," they mean "module." That's the official term from Sunpak.

Except for the Super 383, which has non-removable foot, other flash models listed above have replaceable foot, or "module." Each module is "dedicated" to certain camera models. For example, PT-1D and PT-2D are for Pentax; NE-1D, NE-2D, NE-3D for Nikon, YC-1D for Contax and Yashica,..., STD-1D is "standard" (not dedicated to any camera model, or any camera can use it).

Depending on camera and module, some modules can set shutter speed on the camera when the flash is ready, some can also set the aperture.

For example, if you set your Pentax DSLR to Av mode, when the flash is ready to fire, module PT-1D or PT-2D sets the shutter speed between 1/30 and 1/180, depending on the focal length of the lens. When the flash is not ready (is charging), the shutter speed is set by the camera based on ambient light.

You don't have to use Pentax modules, any (except NE-3D because of a different foot) will work. You just set the camera to M mode and set the shutter speed yourself (or set the camera to X mode). I buy modules just based on price and am currently using modules for Minolta, Olympus, Canon, and "standard" for my K10D and K7 (I shoot in M any way, don't need/want the module to set the shutter speed for me). Ironically, the only Pentax module I have, PT-2D, just went dead before Christmas.

The same modules are used for Sunpak ringlights DX-8R and DX-12R, 120J TTL and hammer head 555.

KEH has Sunpak modules at good prices -> link.

Here's my 36DX (same as 444D) with a "remote cord." The module can be attached directly to the flash unit, or attached via the remote cord:

Here's Sunpak 555 using same kind of module:

And here's DX-8R:

Last edited by SOldBear; 01-12-2013 at 12:32 AM.
01-12-2013, 12:19 AM   #26

The dedication modules on the 422D are interchangeable. So if you had a Canon and a Nikon film cameras you'd just need one 422D unit and a dedicated module for Canon and one for Nikon. The 433Ds are dedicated to one system only so you would need a two 433Ds each dedicated to the respective system (Canon or Nikon). There are a bunch of modules currently listed on eBay, mostly for Minolta though.

The modules turn up at B&H, Adorama and KEH from time to time. Or webstores nobody has heard of before:

Sunpak dedicated module - TheFind

Ideally you'd want the unit or module dedicated to Pentax. Even though you won't get TTL (unless it is dedicated for Pentax TTL and you're shooting on a *ist)
it will set the shutter to flash sync speed.
01-12-2013, 07:49 AM   #27
Veteran Member

For practical purposes, these models are the same: 422D, 433D, 444D, 30DX, 36DX, Super 383. IMHO, they are the most underrated flash units.
Thank you for a great introduction to the world of Sunpak flash! Your description and images answered all my questions.

Just to verify what I have absorbed - the "module" or "adapter" is actually built into the foot of the flash. So as long as I am buying a flash with a foot, it will work in manual mode.

I am not too concerned with getting a Pentax module flash as I intend to use the Sunpak on my radio triggers only as a manual flash. I did see one that was the universal type with only the center pin on the foot.

I am now armed with the information I need to go shopping for a Sunpak flash.
01-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I can see the price of the used Sunpak going up now on eBay
01-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I can see the price of the used Sunpak going up now on eBay
I hope just me buying 1 or 2 doesn't do that!

It's just that I am always looking for good equipment with a good value, and these units certainly seem to fit the bill.
01-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I hope just me buying 1 or 2 doesn't do that!

It's just that I am always looking for good equipment with a good value, and these units certainly seem to fit the bill.
Well I've been following the price of old flashes for past 5 years and I can tell the prices have certainly followed the uptrends, especially with the Nikon SB series. Back then I was able to get an SB-24 for like $25 but now it's like 50-60 easily. Same thing with the Sunpak's, people was giving them out for almost free...