Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Advice on fill-in flash

Hi

Anybody have any recommendations on fill-in flash with a K-5?

I'd just about understood how the Nikon system worked, when I sold it all and moved to Pentax. Nikon have a handy TTL-BL (Back Lit) mode.

I have to take some pictures inside a church and outside next weekend, so I've just bought a Sigma 610 Super.

This will all be on-camera.

Rich

05-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no special setting for fill flash. Turn on the flash and shoot. Optionally use the EV compensation and/or flash EV compensation on the camera to balance the light. It might be best to use Tv exposure mode and manually control the shutter speed. The manual recommends setting the cameras flash mode to slow speed sync as well. I can see how that would apply in Av or P mode; I don't understand why they recommend it for Tv mode.
05-19-2011, 12:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might find this link to be helpful.

http://neilvn.com/tangents/2008/02/29/dragging-the-shutter-revisited/

I'm no expert on fill flash but I started getting better results when I started thinking about the relationship between how much ambient light I want in the background and how slow of a shutter speed I can get away with for the action/non-action I'm trying to capture.

Tim