Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2011, 07:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metz 50 AF1 & Pentax M 135mm

I'm lost on this. I want to use the Metz off camera. Using the flash from the camera to trigger the Metz on a light stand.

I think I read where this could be done. I could be wrong.

I've tried every setting and I can't get the Metz to flash. I have the receiver (Sm red opening on Metz) toward the flash and it's still a no go.

I'm using the K20D, but also have a K5.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to go with some wireless triggers if this isn't possible.

Edit: I've read the thread on shorting out one of the contacts but I didn't want to go that route.

Thanks

Last edited by glee46; 05-20-2011 at 08:05 AM.
05-20-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thats an M lens without aperture contacts. As such, the onboard flash cannot do p-ttl. Hence it cannot trigger an off camera flash in p-ttl mode. You probably won't be able to trigger it in Slave mode either, because its not a dumb slave, but a smart slave that waits for the pre-flash before triggering. With no p-ttl, there is no pre-flash so the Slave will fire after the exposure is over.

Get some radio triggers and set your flash power manually.
05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Thats an M lens without aperture contacts. As such, the onboard flash cannot do p-ttl. Hence it cannot trigger an off camera flash in p-ttl mode. You probably won't be able to trigger it in Slave mode either, because its not a dumb slave, but a smart slave that waits for the pre-flash before triggering. With no p-ttl, there is no pre-flash so the Slave will fire after the exposure is over.

Get some radio triggers and set your flash power manually.
I had a feeling that was it. I can get it to work with my A lenses, my Kit 18-55mm, & Tamron 24-75mm.

I guess I'll go with the Catus 5 (Spelling). I know there's ones which are at the high end & also at the lower end. Those seems to be the ones I've not heard too much complaint over. Thanks for the answer.
05-20-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cactus v5 is a great choice. You won't ever go back to optical triggering.

Cactus V5 Radio Slave Set

05-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I'm lost on this. I want to use the Metz off camera. Using the flash from the camera to trigger the Metz on a light stand.

I think I read where this could be done. I could be wrong.

I've tried every setting and I can't get the Metz to flash. I have the receiver (Sm red opening on Metz) toward the flash and it's still a no go.

I'm using the K20D, but also have a K5.

I'm guessing that I'm going to have to go with some wireless triggers if this isn't possible.

Edit: I've read the thread on shorting out one of the contacts but I didn't want to go that route.

Thanks
I have the Metz48 which is the previous model. I believe you can fire that Metz in its manual mode, pttl won't work because of the lens. But the flash should be able to optically fire it in "wireless" mode. with the K20 in manual mode, go to the flash menu and select "wireless"

On the flash you also have to select manual mode and slave, i think.

BUT, the optical trigger range for the metz is 12 feet or so.

I agree with some of your other replies about getting a pair of Cactus RF triggers V5. You'll never look back. You can trigger your Metz up to 300 feet away with the V5 supposedly.

The Yongnuo flashes, of which i bought 2 recently, have an S1 and S2 optical triggers that are much more sensitive than what's in my Metz 48 and will fire optically farther. Anyway, Yongnuo has a RF trigger as well, but i don't know anything about it, seems like i saw a review on pf though.
05-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I have the Metz48 which is the previous model. I believe you can fire that Metz in its manual mode, pttl won't work because of the lens. But the flash should be able to optically fire it in "wireless" mode. with the K20 in manual mode, go to the flash menu and select "wireless"

On the flash you also have to select manual mode and slave, i think.

BUT, the optical trigger range for the metz is 12 feet or so.

I agree with some of your other replies about getting a pair of Cactus RF triggers V5. You'll never look back. You can trigger your Metz up to 300 feet away with the V5 supposedly.

The Yongnuo flashes, of which i bought 2 recently, have an S1 and S2 optical triggers that are much more sensitive than what's in my Metz 48 and will fire optically farther. Anyway, Yongnuo has a RF trigger as well, but i don't know anything about it, seems like i saw a review on pf though.
With all manual lens like Pentax M 50mm, 35mm, 135mm, or any all manual, the option to set in in Wireless mode is not available on the K20D. Not sure about the K5. Unless I'm missing some setting. I've tried AV, bulb but I can't get the wireless option.

I've heard pretty good things about Yongnuo flashes. Mostly, they work and are easy on the pocket book.

If I used one Metz & one Yongnuo, would I need to purchase 2 pairs of the Cactus V5 to use both of them off the camera?
05-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With all manual lens like Pentax M 50mm, 35mm, 135mm, or any all manual, the option to set in in Wireless mode is not available on the K20D. Not sure about the K5. Unless I'm missing some setting. I've tried AV, bulb but I can't get the wireless option.

I've heard pretty good things about Yongnuo flashes. Mostly, they work and are easy on the pocket book.

If I used one Metz & one Yongnuo, would I need to purchase 2 pairs of the Cactus V5 to use both of them off the camera?
Because wireless is p-ttl, so it won't work without aperture contacts

The yonguo flash has both a dumb optical slave as well as a smart optical slave. So, if you just pick up a set of 2 transceivers, then you can put one on the Metz and use the dumb slave on the yonguo to fire. This is what I do with my Metz 50 and Lumopro lp120. If you want both flashes to fire for sure, pick up a second transceiver for it.

Gadget Infinity has them for a bit cheaper but I like MPEX and they are local. If you have problems, its easier to send it/exchange it there rather than sending all the way back to Hong Kong.

Gadget Infinity :: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo
Gadget Infinity :: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Single
05-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
So, if you just pick up a set of 2 transceivers, then you can put one on the Metz and use the dumb slave on the yonguo to fire. This is what I do with my Metz 50 and Lumopro lp120. If you want both flashes to fire for sure, pick up a second transceiver for it.

Gadget Infinity has them for a bit cheaper but I like MPEX and they are local.
Gadget Infinity :: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo
Gadget Infinity :: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Single
Thanks for the info. When you say pick up a set, I take it that you mean, (1) Gadget Infinity :: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo?

MPEX. Never heard of them before, but I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they have them in stock. Also, to check the price on shipping to California.

I'm glad China has some good prices, but feel that for a few extra bucks, it's better to support the country your in if you so choose. Thanks again.

05-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. When you say pick up a set, I take it that you mean, (1) Gadget Infinity :: Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V5 Duo?

MPEX. Never heard of them before, but I'll give them a call tomorrow to see if they have them in stock. Also, to check the price on shipping to California.

I'm glad China has some good prices, but feel that for a few extra bucks, it's better to support the country your in if you so choose. Thanks again.
yea, one goes on the camera hotshoe, and the other goes on the flash hotshoe. So, you need at least 2. You can then buy them one at a time and add them to additional flashes. So, you still only need 1 on the hotshoe, and however many more you need to cover all your flashes.