Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
ASAP: Metz 50 vs Pentax 360fgz

Hey guys, if both are the same price, which is the better flash? Need to know asap, thanks in advance!

05-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Metz.
05-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
Please provide reasons if possible Convince me if you'd like. I just want whatever is of better quality and value.
05-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Metz.
This. I have the Metz 48 (replaced by the 50) and the pentax 360. They compliment each other very well for macro work but if I could only have one there's no question it'd be the Metz. Its just better in nearly every way.

05-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
This. I have the Metz 48 (replaced by the 50) and the pentax 360. They compliment each other very well for macro work but if I could only have one there's no question it'd be the Metz.
Could you tell me why please? I know the 50 can swivel and has more power, but isn't the interface very clumsy?
05-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SirJangly Quote
Could you tell me why please? I know the 50 can swivel and has more power, but isn't the interface very clumsy?
Build alone makes the METZ 1000x better than the pentax. The interface is fine just takes a little getting used to. It can be dropped to 1/128 power which opens huge possibilities also. Plus they actually give updates to their flashes which is incredible. The extra power is very nice, swivel and tilt is fantastic as well. Im a firm believer in Metz flashes now, and wish I bought the metz instead of the pentax originally as it would have saved me a lot of headache.
05-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
Build alone makes the METZ 1000x better than the pentax. The interface is fine just takes a little getting used to. It can be dropped to 1/128 power which opens huge possibilities also. Plus they actually give updates to their flashes which is incredible. The extra power is very nice, swivel and tilt is fantastic as well. Im a firm believer in Metz flashes now, and wish I bought the metz instead of the pentax originally as it would have saved me a lot of headache.
Just curious, what possibilites does the 1/128 power open up? Also, how is the AF illuminator? I have a K-x so this feature is a big deal to me, and I've read it's almost useless on the metz.

05-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just curious, what possibilites does the 1/128 power open up? Also, how is the AF illuminator? I have a K-x so this feature is a big deal to me, and I've read it's almost useless on the metz.
Highspeed photography.

I don't know how its a big deal for the K-x. Are you referring to the red cross-section light? I haven't used it for "regular" use since after I immediately got it. I don't recall any issues but I can't say definitively if its "useless" or not. I know the Pentax's works fine.
05-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #9

Original Poster
I am referring to the red light that assists focusing in low-light conditions Oh is the 1/128 power just a very fast flash?
05-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I am referring to the red light that assists focusing in low-light conditions Oh is the 1/128 power just a very fast flash?
Its equivalent shutter speed is MUCH faster than any camera shutter is capable of allowing you to freeze stuff in action.
05-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
More or less, The flash duration is about the same but there is less light output and so you use less power and there is less to replace and so recycling is quick. Also you can get many low power flashes on the intial charge. On the AF400T, you could select 1/25 power. With that, you could get about 10 shots with the motor drive running.

Another advantage is that you can reduce the power which makes balancing fill in flash much easier. Effectively you decide on the aperture rather than being forced to use the one "effectively" set by the flash.

Kim

Oh is the 1/128 power just a very fast flash?
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
More or less, The flash duration is about the same but there is less light output and so you use less power and there is less to replace and so recycling is quick. Also you can get many low power flashes on the intial charge. On the AF400T, you could select 1/25 power. With that, you could get about 10 shots with the motor drive running.

Another advantage is that you can reduce the power which makes balancing fill in flash much easier. Effectively you decide on the aperture rather than being forced to use the one "effectively" set by the flash.

Kim
I see, thanks I'm still curious about the AF illuminator. Also, I plan on using this at a wedding, would the metz still be better?
05-25-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh one more thing, the metz recharges much faster
05-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #14

Original Poster
Oh one more thing, the metz recharges much faster
time between shots?
05-25-2011, 11:06 PM   #15
Veteran Member