Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Multiple Flash with the K5

Up to now I have been using TTL flash using an AF400T and a 280T in a hotshoe grip linked by 4P cables. Both flahes have been mounted off camera. Initially it was with the LX, MZ-S and 645N more latterly with the istD.

When I got the K10, I also got a 360FGZ for general work. However, I have now just got a good deal on a 540FGZ and would like to replicate the set up using the K5.

I have tried RTFM but the scenarios in there are for triggering a single remote flash from either the inbuilt flash or using the second gun on the camera. Is there some way of triggering both remote guns using the inbuilt flash? I can trigger one gun using the inbuilt but the other won't fire unless it is on the camera. Anybody know how to get both to fire?

It would be nice to do it all "wireless" but if all else fails, I can get one Remote cable and fool the camera that one gun is hotshoe mounted.

Kim

05-28-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not sure, and I cannot find it in my manual. I think it works, but may have been added in a firmware update. On p. 65 of my 540 manual, it says the K10 needs firmware 1.10 or later to use wireless P-TTL. It's in the print I have to read with my Pentax Photo Lupe 5.5X because it's way too small! If all else fails, give it a try and see what happens. You won't break anything.

Oops - just noticed you are trying with a K-5. The last sentence still applies.

Last edited by Canada_Rockies; 05-28-2011 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Oops
05-29-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Original Poster
I have been trying it! Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I can only get one or the other gun firing but not both!

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
If all else fails, give it a try and see what happens. You won't break anything.

Oops - just noticed you are trying with a K-5. The last sentence still applies.
05-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess it does not work for more than one wireless flash. Bummer. You are too far away to drop over and pick up my old 5 pin connectors to attach one of the flashes to the hot shoe, and then the other wireless.

05-30-2011, 04:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
I have a short cable and it works that way. Wireless would be easier and the 3m cable is hard to find

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I guess it does not work for more than one wireless flash. Bummer. You are too far away to drop over and pick up my old 5 pin connectors to attach one of the flashes to the hot shoe, and then the other wireless.
05-30-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Theoretically it should work, though I have not been successful in my couple of attempts so far. It's been easier for me to just buy a hotshoe extension cable, running the master off that and a slave wirelessly elsewhere.
05-30-2011, 07:31 AM   #7
Forum Member

I have the K5 and a 360 and 540 flash. I can trigger bother wirelessly with the built-in flash. Have you checked to make sure that both flashes are on the same channel? You can also try to sync the flash with the camera individually again, I notice I have to do this every once in a while.