Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
sunpak auto 433D

Quick question: I got what I felt was a great deal on this flash from goodwill, but apparently I didn't read the description closely. Either that or it was mislabeled. Anyway the box it came in says auto F/Minolta printed on the sticker with the original price of the flash. Obviously, I thought it was for pentax. Now I'm scared to even try to put it on my Kx. Can I? If it's incompatible will it simply not work? Or will it damage my camera? Last question: even if I can't use it on camera, I should be able to use it off camera. Right? Thanks for any wisdom you can throw my way. (Fortunately I also got a Pentax AF280T off ebay for a good price, so I at least do have something I can safely use on the Kx.)

05-27-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can look it up here.
Jake Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
05-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks. Unfortunately it's listed as a 'your call' under the 'Is it safe' column. Looks like 2 or 3 people found safe voltages and one person found 14. But what about the second question? I should not be worried about using it off camera, should I?
05-28-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Jim,

I just came back from an overseas trip - to the countryside so no internet access.

Rather than responding to you PM, I reply to your post here.....

Go ahead and use the Sunpak 433D on and off camera. It won't damage anything. The fact that it is dedicated to Minolta doesn't mean a thing in this case.

I may be accused of blasphemy, but I prefer the Sunpak 433D to the Pentax AF280T (I actually sold 3 copies of the Pentax AF280T and still keep a copy of the Sunpak 36DX, a close relative of the 433D). The Sunpak has more power, more auto settings and more manual ratio settings. It can also be used with an AC power supply or external battery packs from Quantum or Sunpak. The Pentax has some "dedication" to Pentax DSLRs, however.

The automatic mode is pretty simple. It takes longer to type than to actually do it:

- Set the camera to X mode, or M mode with shutter speed 1/180 sec or less.
- Set the flash to one of the three auto modes, which one depending on whether you want greater flash range (distance) or greater depth of field.
- Match the ISO setting on the camera and on the flash.
- Set the aperture on the camera at the value indicated by the flash.
- Shoot.

Last edited by SOldBear; 05-28-2011 at 09:04 AM.
05-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
soldbear, glad you're alive. don't know you, but I was still concerned. Thought maybe you had passed on and was wondering how I might find out. Awfully glad you're still around cause I've still got lots of questions. In fact, I'm probably just getting started asking questions. Jim
05-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my Sunpak 433 D--Made for Minolta--on camera with my K-X. I measured the voltage and it was very safe--I believe around 3 or 4 volts if I recall. You want to unscrew the base and desolder the two wires that run to the minolta pins on the base. I did this and then used a hot glue gun to insulate by capping the loose ends of the two wires. (Use a multimeter on ohm setting for conductivity test to figure out which pin is what wire--that's how I did it.)

The Sunpak 433 D is awesome since it has two auto modes, multiple manual settings down to 1/16, tilt, swivel, GN of around 120 at 35mm--I love it. I got it for $40--worth every penny. I can't think of any advantages the YN 460ii has over this and this has the advantage of Auto over the 460ii.

I use it both as on camera auto & manual flash and off camera manual strobe.
05-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
You want to unscrew the base and desolder the two wires that run to the minolta pins on the base.
No need to do this. You can just leave the pins alone. The Minolta data pins cause no harm to the Pentax camera body.

The Sunpak 433 D is awesome since it has two auto modes.
It actually has 3 settings in auto mode.

...worth every penny. I can't think of any advantages the YN 460ii has over this and this has the advantage of Auto over the 460ii.
You're absolutely right.