Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2011, 04:38 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DIY Variable Snoot/Grid/Filter/Etc Idea

Imagine a compact, variable snoot, variable grid and extensive filter holder combined.

Parts list:
1. Piece of black foam (52 cents?)
2. DIY speedstrap or use Lumiquest's or Honyl's. (I made my own with elastic and velcro for pennies--just had to sew a bit of velcro onto the elastic.) [multipurpose]
3. A fotodiox step-up or step-down ring set (around $10) [multipurpose]
4. 1 rubber band [multipurpose] (or another speed strap or some other band)

The first picture shows the parts, second pic it shows it on the flash, and the last pic shows an example with a particular snoot length, particular fotodiox step down.

It's easy to setup, just wrap the foam around the head, strap it on with speed-strap while holding it in place, put the fotodiox in the end, and finally rubberband it. takes like 15 seconds to do it all.

Now imagine the endless creative possibilites (here are some) :
* Use ANY combination of filters you'd use on your camera on the flash (e.g. red filter or green for colored grid for background) Hundreds upon hundreds of filters available. Put 2 polarizing filters together and make a variable ND filter for your flash if it doesn't go down far enough in power. Diffuse the light with another filter. Bokeh discs, stencils; and so on..
* make your own little grids inside a ring that screws into the fotodiox. make it with big or small straws, big or small corrugated plastic, etc.. make it 49mm, make it 58mm--whatever you like.
* vary the length of the snoot .. i have a 3 inch, 6 inch, 9 inch snoot so far. -- just black foam that stores flat
* if you want some reflection inside the snoot, use a piece of white foam within the black, flush or inset--your choice.
* use threaded tubes or lens hoods to step down less abruptly and lengthen snoot. you could use a lens hood to make a deep straw/corrugated plastic grid.
* take your sheets of rosco cinema gels and cut a few round ones and place between two haze filters and attach to the end of your snoot (to the fotodiox ring set.)

I had other ideas as well--they aren't coming to me atm--but I am sure you have a lot you could add to this as well; suggestions very welcome!

Attached Images

04-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Job...!
I went a little more "over engineered" with mine...

I started with a sun shade from the Dollar Store... (with the reflective side...)

And then I used self adhesive Velcro to put it together...

Here's a before picture (without the snoot...)

And, here's an after... About 10 feet away...

Here is the basic pattern I made and...

And, this is the flash with the Snoot attached...

I'll make some adjustments over time and let you know how they work out...