Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #1

More affordable ringflash options for Pentax K-r?

Hi,

I've been considering a ring flash to assist with macro work. Searching the net, I've seen the following options:

Pentax OEM ringflash (Pentax AF160FC Auto Macro Ring Flash with Lens Adapter Rings, Guide Number 48 at ISO 100/ft.) ~$500
SIGMA EM-140 DG TTL Macro Ringlight Flash for Pentax P-TTL - ~$379

Both are well above my price range and it seems like for other brands (Canon, Nikon), there are much more competitively priced options (in the $100 range).

Could someone suggest some other options for ringflashes at a lower price point?

Thanks!

06-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have to have a flash with P-TTL?
06-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bluebronco Quote
Do you have to have a flash with P-TTL?
I honestly don't know the advantages/disadvantages of P-TTL ... could you elaborate? What did you have in mind if the P-TTL wasn't required ?
06-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #4

I was going to suggest a constant on ring. You can find them cheap on ebay. Make sure the light color is 5600k.

Or you can make your own:

DIY Light Ring

Or do a search for DIY Light Ring on Google. There are lots of options.

06-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I would recommend an older ring flash and use it in manual mode rather than an constantly on system. As far as p-ttl ringlights go, it is probably hard to beat the price point of the sigma and it can serve as a master flash in wireless mode. I have the sigma and also a Promaster Macrolume ttl (pre p-ttl version) with a thyristor module. I use the Sigma mostly. I like the straightforward operation of the Pentax ring flash though. Metz also has a p-ttl ring flash that is nice. All the p-ttl flashes are going to put you well over $350. A manual system you may be able to round up for $75-125.
06-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #6
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you already have a flash you could give this DIY Lighting Kits a try just remember to not use it on a frog. It has the advantage of being really cheep. From a report I read the quality of the flash was pretty good but I have not tried it my self yet.

DAZ
06-18-2011, 10:46 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
If you already have a flash you could give this DIY Lighting Kits a try just remember to not use it on a frog. It has the advantage of being really cheep. From a report I read the quality of the flash was pretty good but I have not tried it my self yet.

DAZ

This one seems like all kinds of win, and cheap, which makes it full of super-win! This the route I've gone. Cost was about $60; the parts are still in my garage though.

motleypixel.com: Photography Forums and Lens Reviews

DIY ring-flash - a set on Flickr
06-22-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Get this flash:

Sunpak DX-8R - $37

and this module:

Sunpak MX-1D - $1.99

(It's a module for Minolta, but that doesn't matter).

With $10.28 shipping, the total is less than $50. You'll have a ring flash with 3 aperture settings in auto mode, 5 manual ratio settings (1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16) in manual mode.

I don't think anyone can beat that (I got mine for much less, but that's a different story ).

06-23-2011, 12:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

or try this p-ttl macro flash instead of ring flash?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/146183-...cro-flash.html

The cost is under $2 and you get free chips with it!