Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone interested in a PF group for Strobist work?

DaveHolms recently started a thread looking for examples of off camera strobist work. But those type threads seem to scroll of the forum rather quickly.

I now carry at least a single flash/radio trigger for fill-in purposes whever i go, and am trying to improve my skills so that i feel comfortable with manual control. I have used up to 3 flashes at a time in the field (once)

I would be willing to start a PF Group to show and discuss our non-studio Strobist work if others are willing to support with their own photos and comment.

Why non-studio? Because the equipment and challenge in doing field work is often far different than setting up a studio and using studio flashes. I want to keep my equipment light and mobile.

Anyway, post if you are interested in some way, i think it might be helpful in stimulating new ideas. If no interest, i'll probably wander off and join some Flickr group, unless someone knows of a more interesting flash type forum.

06-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Phil, there are so many great examples and tutorials on the Strobist website, you'd get a lot of mileage out of joining them and going 'on assignment' with them for ideas on how to improve your lighting skills.

Nevertheless, you could give it a go here - I'm interested but have limited time to devote to the cause thesedays. I have a keen affinity for off-camera strobist work in the field when shooting models, families, etc. on location. Lots of results already posted on DaveHomles's thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/141852-...de-studio.html
06-14-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There's this:

Pentax Strobists - PentaxForums.com

Its not dedicated to non-studio, but I'm sure you could have your own thread in there dedicated to non-studio stuff
06-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I do strobist, so I'm definately interested. I also never tried more than 3 flashes at once and I prefer to keep it light and simple.

06-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Phil, there are so many great examples and tutorials on the Strobist website, you'd get a lot of mileage out of joining them and going 'on assignment' with them for ideas on how to improve your lighting skills.

Nevertheless, you could give it a go here - I'm interested but have limited time to devote to the cause thesedays. I have a keen affinity for off-camera strobist work in the field when shooting models, families, etc. on location. Lots of results already posted on DaveHomles's thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/141852-...de-studio.html
I've been reading their stuff and made it through the 101 video. Looks good, but i was then hoping to link up with a discussion site as progress is made.

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
There's this:

Pentax Strobists - PentaxForums.com

Its not dedicated to non-studio, but I'm sure you could have your own thread in there dedicated to non-studio stuff
I'll join today. I did a search in the groups, but for some reason missed it.

QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
I do strobist, so I'm definately interested. I also never tried more than 3 flashes at once and I prefer to keep it light and simple.
Thanks for the hookup information!!!!!
06-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I've been reading their stuff and made it through the 101 video. Looks good, but i was then hoping to link up with a discussion site as progress is made.
On the flickr group, occasionally they get a group that does lighting 102 (maybe even 101) assignments with discussion. And of course there is tons of discussion on each post.

I find that since strobist is brand agnostic, it's easy to mesh with the others on this topic.

I usually use 1~2 flashes in the field. What I really need is an easy way to use a reflector without an assistant.

Last edited by Eruditass; 06-15-2011 at 11:34 AM.
06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
What I really need is an easy way to use a reflector without an assistant
That's pretty tough - you'd have to bring a prop to elevate one side of the reflector on the ground so that it can be angled to where you want the light reflected back onto the subject. But that too limits your ability to focus the reflected light.
06-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
On the flickr group, occasionally they get a group that does lighting 102 (maybe even 101) assignments with discussion. And of course there is tons of discussion on each post.

I find that since strobist is brand agnostic, it's easy to mesh with the others on this topic.

I usually use 1~2 flashes in the field. What I really need is an easy way to use a reflector without an assistant.
BH or Adorama was selling a cross bar that went on top of a light stand, but i suppose you know that. more weight, more stuff to carry.

06-16-2011, 05:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Pretty sure there's a 'pentax-strobists' group on flickr... I've only had a flickr account for a while but here's my photostream Flickr: DaveHolmesPhotos' Photostream
06-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I already am on that group but it seems slow to take off.... count me in!
what I did in my last shoot is put my 24 inch softbox on a monopod and carried it with me. I either held it in one hand and shot with the other, or got one of my kids to hold it,

here is an example of one of my daughters with an old wedding dress from a used place so that we could practice for the real thing when we do one in the fall (someone else is getting married thank goodness )
I held the softbox up above her head and to the right of her

one of the best things about the softbox is the flash gives very sharp results without looking like I used flash
It also puts in much needed catch lights on overcast days

hope this strobist thing takes off!

cheers