Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #1

K-x popup flash AND wireless P-TTL with AF-360 FGZ?

As a new AF-360 FGZ owner, I've been trying to make this work, but I cannot get the AF-360 FGZ to fire as a wireless P-TTL slave, and, at the same time, have the popup flash on my Pentax K-x fire as a master. That is, I want to test P-TTL flash photography with both the camera's popup flash and the wireless AF-360 FGZ illuminating the subject.

Q1. Is this even possible?
The AF-360 FGZ documentation does not mention operation with my K-x. While my K-x documentation does give simple instructions (3 steps) for "Using a combination of the Built-in Flash and an External Flash Unit" (p.167) - no specific settings are given for the external flash.

Q2. If this is possible, then what am I doing wrong?

Q3. If this is possible, and my settings are correct - then is my new AF-360 FGZ defective?

Here is what I've tried so far:
- I have verified both the camera and the flash are set to the same channel.

- I have verified that the K-x flash mode is set to "Wireless"

- I have verified that the AF-360 FGZ is set to "Slave" and Mode is "P-TTL"

- The AF-360 is positioned about 3-5 ft, laterally, from the camera, with both the external flash and the camera pointing in the general direction of the subject.

- If I set the K-x Menu C.3.>17. Flash in wireless mode=1 (that is, "On"), then the camera flash fires, but the AF-360 does not fire.

- If I set the camera flash to act as a controller (K-x Menu C.3.>17. Flash in wireless mode=2; that is, "Off"), then the camera's built in flash and the external flash both fire - but the built-in flash does not appear to be contributing to the exposure.

- If I set K-x Menu C.3.>17. Flash in wireless mode=1 (that is, "On"), and the the AF-360 is set to "Slave 2" - then the external flash will fire - but in Slave 2, the only modes available on the AF-360 are "A" and "M" (that is, no P-TTL).

Thanks in advance
-gw

06-19-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In your menu options, you can set the 'flash in wireless mode' option to 'on', indicating the pop-up flash will act as master (not just control) and the external flash as slave. The AF360 should fire despite this menu option setting. If the popup flash is not appearing to contribute to the exposure, your exposure settings could be eclipsing the maximum power of the popup flash, or your FEC is set too low.

Where you may have gone wrong has any number of permutations according to what step was missed out or done incorrectly. Ensure both your flash and camera body are set to wireless mode, sync the flash with the camera by half-depressing the shutter release button, then dismount the flash ensuring the red flashing light appears at the front sensor of the flash unit. This indicates 'wireless ready mode', and a discharge from the popup flash should trigger the external flash according to its set mode.
06-19-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
In your menu options, you can set the 'flash in wireless mode' option to 'on', indicating the pop-up flash will act as master (not just control) and the external flash as slave. The AF360 should fire despite this menu option setting.
... Ensure both your flash and camera body are set to wireless mode, sync the flash with the camera by half-depressing the shutter release button, then dismount the flash ensuring the red flashing light appears at the front sensor of the flash unit. This indicates 'wireless ready mode', and a discharge from the popup flash should trigger the external flash according to its set mode.
One minor clarification: Do you mean the "red flashing light" on the BACK of the flash - or should something be flashing on the front, too?

Yeah, tried all that numerous times. External flash does not fire.

Guess I should send it back?
06-19-2011, 08:31 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by runswithsizzers Quote
should something be flashing on the front, too?
Yes, the red flashing at the back indicates flash is ready, but red flashing light from red front panel of the flash indicates wireless ready.

If you have no red flashing light from the front, it is not going to fire wirelessly. Check this before sending it back.

06-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, the red flashing at the back indicates flash is ready, but red flashing light from red front panel of the flash indicates wireless ready.

If you have no red flashing light from the front, it is not going to fire wirelessly. Check this before sending it back.
OK, I've never seen any kind of light, flashing or otherwise on the FRONT of the unit; nor can I find anything in my documentation telling me that such a front light exists. Then again, I haven't seen anything in my documentation to tell me the REAR light flashes in wireless mode, either - but it obviously does ...

But, forget about the missing front light, because you have fixed my problem!! Not in this thread, but in another one (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-flashes-lighting-technique/105362-...less-mode.html), where you said:

"... definitely set the camera to wireless mode with the flash attached to the camera's hotshoe before you depress the shutter halfway ..."

Because I knew my K-x was already in Wireless mode, I had never changed that setting while the flash was attached to the camera (but BEFORE partially depressing the shutter). Once I included that step, I can report Wireless P-TTL works fine, using my Pentax K-x built-in flash as a Master, and the Pentax AF-360 FGZ flash as a slave.

To summarize, here is the sequence of steps that resulted in success for me:

1. Press the MENU button on the back of the K-x, and navigate to: C.3.>17. Flash in wireless mode=1 (that is, "On"); Press OK.
2. Turn off K-x
3. Attach the Pentax AF-360 FGZ flash to the K-x hot shoe
4. Put flash into wireless mode (Power switch between ON and OFF positions) - READY light should flash
5. Set the AF-360 "M/C/S" switch to the "S" position (NOTE: this should be Slave 1, not Slave 2; hold down the AF-360 "LIGHT/FORMAT" button for 2 seconds to check the setting, and use the round "Select" button to change it, if necessary)
6. Confirm that the flash is in P-TTL mode
7. Slide the right side switch to the yellow Dot, and use the "CH." button to set the wireless channel to 1 (or 2, or 3, or 4)
8. Slide the right switch back to the white dot.
9. Turn on the K-x
10. Use the K-x 4 way controller to enter the Flash settings, and select WIRELESS (if it's already on WIRELESS, cycle through the choices back to WIRELESS, then press "OK")
11. Press the shutter button down halfway until the camera autofocuses.
12. Remove the flash (leave it on)
13. Pop up the K-x built-in flash.
14. Press the shutter to take the shot, with both flashes contributing to the exposure. (If you want only the external flash to light the scene, the steps are the same, except in Step 1 the K-x MENU setting should be: C.3.>17. Flash in Wireless mode=2, or "Off")

Apparently, it is not necessary to repeat all these steps after the camera and flash have been turned off, and back on, unless some of the settings are changed, and the camera and flash are re-synched.
07-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #6

there is a software problem!

To make the wireless flash work try putting the flash on channel 3 and the camera at channel 1. If not try and reverse the channel for the wireless flash.
works for most KX cameras.