Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
More than 2 PTTL flashes?

So I recently picked up a second AF540FGZ flash and I have my set of Cactus 5s with a bunch of older, cheap, low-powered flashes.

Is there any use to getting more 540s? I'm not sure how the camera would handle controlling more than two PTTL flashes at once. The documentation suggests that two are perfectly OK but there's no information on dealing with three.

06-25-2011, 07:57 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have used 17 slave flashes at once,only four were P-TTL fill flashes (AF540's). When it works P-TTL makes working with large number of flash units simper, though I prefer to work in manual mode with my strobist work - you get consistent results that way.
06-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You don't have to get 540s to use as slaves! The Metz 50 or one of the others would be an alternative and 1/2 the price.
06-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the in-practice note. I was wondering if the value of having more automagic controls would outweigh the additional cost. Sounds like more manual control cheap and bright flashes would be best. Most of the older flashes I have are less than 80 GN/ft and are thyristor controlled -- not the best setup to tweak exposures.