Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lighting for Table Top Studio

Which lighting do you suggest for Table top studio? I know 5000K is a preferred lighting source but it's difficult to source locally. So wondering, what will be difference between using 5000K light sources and other light sources like normal CFL/incandescent lamp and then adjust the white balancing?

Thanks

06-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The white balance will be the only real issue. Get what you can afford and is easy to replace when bulbs burn out, and get the exact same ones every time or you start running into mixed color lighting which is a nightmare.

Also, let the lights warm up for 10-15 minutes before shooting.
06-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use three hardware lights with 150 watt green bulbs plus a little spot I picked up sometimes. It works pretty okay and they're cheap.
06-24-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The important thing is to have all of the light consistent in color. 5000k is often recommended as close to daylight and therefore integrates well if daylight is a part of the light being used. In a dark room or after dark with only artificial lights then the actual color is not as important as having it all the same. Then shoot in RAW and color correct if you have to in post processing.

As stated above, source something easy to find and stick with that. I am using all 5500k compact fluorescent bulbs right now. The local store has a brand they stock that is not too expensive and works well. Personally I would avoid incandescent bulbs and use compact florescent if they available there because of the less heat given off and less cost to run them. Many CFL brands here now list the color temperature. The local grocery store has 2700k, 3800k and 5500k to choose from.